• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I put a lien on a car title?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mt_mcgee

I live in Kansas and this legal action has all taken place in Kansas.

I have a judgement from small claims court. The debtor did not come to court. We received a default judgement The debtor did not fill out the courts papers listing their bank accounts or other assets. She has quit their job, closed bank accounts and moved several times in the past year. They do most of their financial transactions with cash now. I know they have a car and I have all the information on the vehicle. Can I use that to file a lien against the title to help me in getting some leverage to get them to pay the debt? (for clarification. I am not a contractor so I cannot use a mechanics lien)

I also know that a city or school can claim a tax return of a debtor. Can an individual do that as well?

Obviously getting a judgement in small claims is the first in many steps to collect on an outstanding debt.

Thank you.

Last edited:

racer72

Take a copy of your writ of garnishment to your state's nearest DOL office to file a lien. Even with a lien on the the vehicle, your odds of collecting are still slim and none. Also, the exemption for motor vehicles in Kansas is a very generous $20,000, if your judgment is less than that, you are wasting your time. You are likely going to find out why about 75% of all personal judgments are never collected in full, over half never get a penny.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">