• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I reverse a threat made by collector?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TigerD

The big ones I owe are 15K and 26K, both CC debt. What is the very least anyone has ever heard of settling these? 50%? Just wondering
When I was a debt collector, I settled some accounts for between 10 and 25 cents on the dollar. Very, very rarely and only when I needed to get my total volume up over the next commission line. I wish I could say the debtor's circumstance made any difference in that decision, but honestly, I couldn't have cared less about them as long as the check cleared.

TD

Not a problem, although it helps the members of this forum better help a poster when all of the poster's related questions are kept to one thread. :)

It seems to me that you have accumulated a lot of debt and you have been having difficulty meeting your obligations, to the point where you hired a questionable service to help you manage the debt. And you are now being pursued by a debt collection agency that has had its own share of legal actions filed against it in the past.

Perhaps it is time for you to seek out assistance in your area from a reputable financial advisor, researching the qualifications and credentials of the advisor prior to hiring. You could also consult with an attorney in your area about your recourse against World Law Group and to look into the debt collection agencies currently pursuing you, to ensure they are not violating any debt collection practices in their pursuit.

Good luck.
Thank you for the well wishes, believe me 10 yrs ago even in my worst nightmare, never thought I'd be in this difficult position. Made good money, had good bussiness, vacation home, all was well. Now I literally live on float from my checks. But thats another story.....how do I go about finding a reputable financial advisor, one who wont clean me out? After dealing with WLG, i'm pretty leary.

Do you really think an attorney would help with my claim against WLG? From the online stories, its like trying to get blood from the turnip.....but I am determined to stay the course and remain self employed despite my struggles. i wont give up and know theres a solution to all this, I'm just lost as to where to turn and feel like a sheep amongst wolves. Thanks again for your reply

When I was a debt collector, I settled some accounts for between 10 and 25 cents on the dollar. Very, very rarely and only when I needed to get my total volume up over the next commission line. I wish I could say the debtor's circumstance made any difference in that decision, but honestly, I couldn't have cared less about them as long as the check cleared.

TD
Does a debt collector know in advance the very lowest percent they can accept? I know thats a negotiable thing, and they are likely to refuse my initial offer.

TigerD

Does a debt collector know in advance the very lowest percent they can accept? I know thats a negotiable thing, and they are likely to refuse my initial offer.
Yes.
There are multiple lines for the lowest percentage:
1. Company set - no exceptions
2. Commission line - below it and no commission on this collection (very rare when collectors will go below this - I only did it to game the system and increase my total commission return)
3. Portfolio guides.

Most of the collectors you will talk to do not have the authority to negotiate past set policy guidelines.

TD

Yes.
There are multiple lines for the lowest percentage:
1. Company set - no exceptions
2. Commission line - below it and no commission on this collection (very rare when collectors will go below this - I only did it to game the system and increase my total commission return)
3. Portfolio guides.

Most of the collectors you will talk to do not have the authority to negotiate past set policy guidelines.

TD
Then I ask for a supervisor or someone who is able to authorize a lower percents?

There is an excellent sticky thread on negotiation. It would serve you well to read it.

TD
Yes very helpful, thanks. I'm not sure the cost of attorney is justified here, I would think they would want at least $500 retainer, which if he/she could prove that it would save me many times that, I'd probably do.

I did speak to a customer of mine breifly a while back and he naturally consoled me....ya know like "the bank has some liability here by enticing you with loans etc, and they make huge profits on many accounts and screw people left & right"....didnt make me feel any better, I'm still on the hook

justalayman

I did speak to a customer of mine breifly a while back and he naturally consoled me....ya know like "the bank has some liability here by enticing you with loans etc, and they make huge profits on many accounts and screw people left & right"....didnt make me feel any better, I'm still on the hook
So in other words your customer has a problem taking responsibility for their own actions? I don't know what your business deals with but I would be cautious of extending even a penny of credit to a person that wants to blame others for enticing them to do anything. Next thing you know they are going tell you you enticed them to buy something from you and not feel they should pay for it.

While there are lenders that offer credit to those that shouldn't be accepting the offer, ultimately it is up to the consumer to use their brain and say no.

So in other words your customer has a problem taking responsibility for their own actions? I don't know what your business deals with but I would be cautious of extending even a penny of credit to a person that wants to blame others for enticing them to do anything. Next thing you know they are going tell you you enticed them to buy something from you and not feel they should pay for it.

While there are lenders that offer credit to those that shouldn't be accepting the offer, ultimately it is up to the consumer to use their brain and say no.
He actually is an attorney and yes many feel the banks deserve what they get....however I dont. I am accountable to settle this, its on me. What I didnt foresee was a 50% drop in income, that sounds like an excuse, but I wont use it as a crutch. Believe me, I was jugging along just fine until the recession hit and havent been the same since and am trying to dig myself out without sleeping on a park bench. I dont believe you mean to come across as condenscending as we both agree the liability falls on the borrower.

How would I find a financial advisor w/o breaking the bank? Googling it kind of scares me and right now I just need some good advice as I've never ever been in this boat before and its scary as hell

quincy

He actually is an attorney and yes many feel the banks deserve what they get....however I dont. I am accountable to settle this, its on me. What I didnt foresee was a 50% drop in income, that sounds like an excuse, but I wont use it as a crutch. Believe me, I was jugging along just fine until the recession hit and havent been the same since and am trying to dig myself out without sleeping on a park bench. I dont believe you mean to come across as condenscending as we both agree the liability falls on the borrower.

How would I find a financial advisor w/o breaking the bank? Googling it kind of scares me and right now I just need some good advice as I've never ever been in this boat before and its scary as hell
If you know an attorney in your area, this attorney could be of assistance to you in finding a reputable advisor to help you with your financial issues or perhaps you can look at non-profit organizations for advice and direction. But definitely avoid anyone who, or any entity like World Law Group that, say they can eliminate your debt if you pay them X amount of dollars.

Good luck, The Grinder.

If you know an attorney in your area, this attorney could be of assistance to you in finding a reputable advisor to help you with your financial issues or perhaps you can look at non-profit organizations for advice and direction. But definitely avoid anyone who, or any entity like World Law Group that, say they can eliminate your debt if you pay them X amount of dollars.

Good luck, The Grinder.
I suppose looking at the depth of my debt, am attorney may be warranted. I just need to start re-building my credit as I know at some point will need working capital. I had outstanding credit for at least 30 yrs and now its average or below. Thanks for the well wishes, I may post more of my misadventures as this moves forward

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">