• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a lienholder remove a registered owner from a auto Title.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shimama85

Nevada
In May we bought a car from a friend who agreed to take $100.00 payments monthly. In May she had the brakes go out on her vehicle my spouse is a mechanic so the job I. A shop would have cost her a little over $1200.00 dollars she agreed that the next 6 months of payments would be covered to offset the repair. At the time I thought there was a written agreement from when we purchased the car and a agreement that in lieu of payment to us for her repairs the loan payments were made it turns out my trusting honest spouse and her only had verbal arrangements. Now she is claiming that she needs to sell the car because her hours got cut back on at work and we need to return the car she loaned us. Can she remove me as the registered owner on the title since is the lien holder. Can she come and just take my car, or put it up for repossession?

adjusterjack

Can she remove me as the registered owner on the title since is the lien holder.
No. She can't do anything with the title without your signature.

Can she come and just take my car, or put it up for repossession?
No.

There would have to have been a written contract giving her the right of repossession after default.

All she can do is sue you for whatever money she thinks she is entitled to. And your spouse can countersue for the cost of the brake job.

Note: I wish I had a buck for every time I read about these incredibly stupid deals people get into buying and selling cars. I would be swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck.

Shimama85

Today the lien holder went in to DMV and had them remove me from the Title she used a repossession of Affidavit, and they stated that because she is a private party repossession laws do not apply to her. She has the car and I had a interesting conversation with an attorney I will be retaining. She will not send the notices required by Nevada statutes. I will update on the process because of a lien holder can remove a registered owner at any time during a private sale that is completely outrageous to me. I have located her agreements to accept work instead of car payments and have loacated a post referencing the original arrangement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">