• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can parents be chased for children's debts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Al16

What is the name of your state? CA
The person is over 21, can't pay her huge medical bills, doesn't have any assets, and has low salary job. Can her parents or other relatives be chased for her debts if they haven't signed any papers?

What is the name of your state? CA
The person is over 21, can't pay her huge medical bills, doesn't have any assets, and has low salary job. Can her parents or other relatives be chased for her debts if they haven't signed any papers?
How old was the person when the services were performed? If she was a minor then I think her parents can be held responsible. When you say "chased for her debts" what do you mean? Are they trying to contact her at her relatives house?

Al16

How old was the person when the services were performed? If she was a minor then I think her parents can be held responsible. When you say "chased for her debts" what do you mean? Are they trying to contact her at her relatives house?
Thanks for your reply.
The person was over 21 when the service was performed. Somebody told me that the company may try to go after parent's assets in this situation. I doubt it but not sure.

lealea1005

Doesn't matter - being covered by someone elses insurance doesn't make that other person liable.

True. I was just thinking, if the "person" was a full time student and covered by his/her parent's policy at the time of service, perhaps that's why Op was led to believe h/she may be liable for the bill.

badapple40

Unless the child in question was declared a dependent/ward of the parent (through mental handicap, etc), then the answer is no. The parent cannot be held liable.

generally, before a person can be held to answer for the debts of another, the agreement must be in writing per the statute of frauds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">