• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you deal with the original creditor once your debt has gone to collections?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deronsworldnow

ARIZONA.

A typical scenario: Lost a great job and have tremendous bills. I've been handling most creditors, but I had a T-Mobile bill go directly to an outsourced collections agency. I had one conversation that was in house with T-Mobile and immediately it went to collections. Two months behind ($1,100.00). I need to request an invoice as I believe they are charging me full price for the phone because I cancelled prior to contract.

1. Can I get back in touch with T-Mobile for payment arraignments or must this be handled all with the collections
agency assigned?

2. Should I avoid responding to the collector before I get the invoice?

Advice???

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Jumping Jehoshaphat! What sort of plan did you have that incurred $1,100 in two months?!? :eek:

justalayman

ARIZONA.

A typical scenario: Lost a great job and have tremendous bills. I've been handling most creditors, but I had a T-Mobile bill go directly to an outsourced collections agency. I had one conversation that was in house with T-Mobile and immediately it went to collections. Two months behind ($1,100.00). I need to request an invoice as I believe they are charging me full price for the phone because I cancelled prior to contract.

1. Can I get back in touch with T-Mobile for payment arraignments or must this be handled all with the collections
agency assigned?

2. Should I avoid responding to the collector before I get the invoice?

Advice???
whether you can deal with the original creditor depends on whether they actually sold the debt or simply hired a CA to collect for them and retained the ownership of the debt.

If T mobile retained ownership of the debt, it is then up to them if they want to speak with you or not.

If it were me, I would contact t mobile directly for an invoice regardless of the ownership of the debt.

davew128

Jumping Jehoshaphat! What sort of plan did you have that incurred $1,100 in two months?!? :eek:
My girlfriend went to Mexico for a few days and in her infinite wisdom decided to stream Pandora on her Blackberry for a couple hours in addition to about an hour of calls back and forth when an emergency popped up and she had to return. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled with the $500 phone bill a few weeks later. International roaming can kill you if you don't pay attention.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">