• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can you get arrested for not paying a student loan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sln1476

Please understand that I am not a lawyer. I am a regular person with debt trouble like you. I don't think anyone can be arrested for owing a debt. There are no more debtor's prisons. From what I understand, student loans are different than a regular credit card or store charge card. Speaking from limited knowledge and "experience," (my brother defaulted on his student loans years ago), the loan holder eventually got a default judgement against him, and they started to attach any refunds he got from his tax return. My brother did start to pay them back and cleaned up his credit. I hope this helps. Anyone else want to jump in here? Good luck!!!!

Ladynred

SIN1476 is absolutely correct, you cannot be arrested or jailed for not paying a debt. If a collector told you that he/she was not only LYING but breaking the law !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">