• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you get out of being a co-signer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Meira20

Over a year ago I helped a dear friend of mines get her boyfriend out of jail by using a bail bonds. I co-signed to get him out of "holding". He went to jail and done work release. So ultimately he ended up getting out months early and only have to worry about parole. Recently I was informed that no payments were made in the past year to pay the bail bonds so there lawyers (bail bonds lawyers) were involved to collect the debt. My friend now ex have came up with an agreement with the lawyers to pay them back but it will involve her and I having to sign some paperwork.Because I was only helping a friend and I was barely 18 are there any ways to get out of this situation that I ended up getting myself into? Are there ways to insecure that my friend and now ex are held accountable for what ever happens with this new arrangement? A lot of domestic abuse happened while they were together and nothing good happens when it involved both of them.

adjusterjack

The ONLY one who can release you from your obligation is the creditor and that will only happen if and when the debt is paid.

Meantime, it's up to you if you want to co-sign the payment plan, understanding that it might be the only way to avoid the creditor jumping on you with both feet for the entire amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">