• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Rental Company Threats with "CIA", "Felony Charges" and more

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelpmeUSC

South Carolina
So a few months ago a former co-worker of mine was having car trouble. He asked me if I could help out by picking up a car for him from a major car rental company and bring it over. I told him I wouldn't mind but I dont want to be responsible for anything to do with it. He told me It wont be a problem because he book it under his consulting company account and it would be entirely paid for. So I went to the car rental place and before signing anything I even asked the person at the desk if it was ok to hand this car off to my co-worker, and if I would be liable for anything. She told me the company account is taking care of the car and that he was listed so he could drive it. Well two months go by, and since then the co-worker had quite working at my job. So I get a phone call from a security person with the car retailer and he is telling me that they are working with “CIA” on a investigation about a car rental fraud ring. He says he believes I've been duped but that I am still liable for the charges. When I ask him what the charges are he says that the car was returned but there’s a $2400.00 bill on it and that my former co-worker owes a total of $8800 for another rental as well. I tell him I'm happy to help so let me gather some info. He wants the personnel file of the former co-work, along with any other info I can provide. I call him back and tell him I can't get that file because it is protected by my company and responds by telling me that I could be brought up on felony charges such as “theft of services” and that unless I can help him, I'm just making this harder on me. He tells me the company that the co-worker charged the cars to, signed a affidavit claiming he is not authorized to charge the vehicle to the account. I asked how my coworker got access to that company's account and the guy tells me its advance social networking and he can not go into detail. On our next conversation he tells me they have reason to believe the former co-worker used a credit card from a customer of the business I worked at , and it would be in my company’s best interest and mine to turn over that file. I tell him they are going to need a warrant to get it and he tells me fine someone will be calling you.

So I guess I need to know,
1st off is there a penalty in SC for theft of services in south carolina or is this strictly a civil matter in my state.
2ndly should I continue to cooperate with these folks, or tell them to call police and to go ahead a make this a legal matter, I'm pretty sure I can't just turn over his employee file
3rd since when did the CIA investigate these matters, I looked the guy up on Linkedin and looks like he worked for the CIA for 20 years, so I'm thinking it is a scare tactic.
4th can I ask to see the affidavits from the company that said the co worker isn't authorized (think they made that part up and in fact my coworkers “company” just stopped paying)
Lastly, I think I know the answer to this but am I liable for the $2400 dollars owed, and if so why are they trying so are to pump me for info about my former-coworker.

Thank you in advance for any advice, these guys got me spooked

Mass_Shyster

I seriously doubt the CIA is investigating a car rental theft ring in South Carolina. That's not within their jurisdiction.

My guess is that Mr. CIA is a debt collector and is trying any way he can to find the debtor.

I suggest contacting the police and letting them know that this clown is impersonating a CIA agent.

swalsh411

I don't "seriously doubt" the CIA is involved. I am 100% certain beyond any shadow of a doubt that the CIA is not involved. The linkedin profile is a dead giveaway. CIA employees do not have profiles on linkedin.

File a police report with all the information you have on these and then cease all contact with this person. I haven't heard of this particular scam but it I don't think your former co-worker is involved. They somehow got of the rental company records and are trying to intimidate people.

asiny

If you get a call from Mr. CIA again... give him the number of your company legal department - or human resources - as he would have to request employee information from them.. not from a co-worker.

Get Mr. CIAs information - mailing location, office, name and telephone number.. and follow the above advice too - get that police report filed.

davew128

Notwiothstanding the fact that the CIA is not a law enforcement agency and legally cannot conduct operations domestically, next time Secret Agent Man calls, tell him your friend Mr. Smart over at CONTROL would like a word with him.

StephenH

Sounds like a scam to me. Debt collectors illegally sometimes pose as law enforcement. It would be unlikely that the Central Intellegence Agency is involved in a car rental fraud scheme investigation. If there is law enforcement involved, it is more likely to be the local police, state police, or FBI. If you are uncertain about this, I would contact the local police or an attorney to investigate further.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">