• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car repossessed what can I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scantrell123

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OKlahoma

My car was repossessed how do I get it back. Can I pay back payments and get it back??? Family in crisis please help

Who's Liable?

If it has been repo'd there's pretty much nothing you can do besides pay off the reamainder of the loan and then you will get the car back... You can however get your personal items out of the vehicle...

scantrell123 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OKlahoma

My car was repossessed how do I get it back. Can I pay back payments and get it back??? Family in crisis please help
If you have the money to pay the back payments, why couldnt you pay them to begin with?

freddy48

You will want to call the repossession department to find out your options. I'm guessing that you will have to bring the account current to get your vehicle back, if unable to do that, then they will probably try and sell it at an auction and the difference after the sale is what you owe on the loan.

You will want to call the repossession department to find out your options. I'm guessing that you will have to bring the account current to get your vehicle back, if unable to do that, then they will probably try and sell it at an auction and the difference after the sale is what you owe on the loan.
It's very doubtful you will be able to get your car back once they've gone so far as to repossess it, and if there is even a hint of hope - you would have to act very quickly. Generally they don't wait very long to send the car to auction.

msldystrkr

Check your state law on how to reclaim this vehicle. Usually there is a re-instatement period of aobut 10 days. You will most likely have to catch up the payemnts to current and pay for the repossession and the storage fees.

girlsmomma

car repo-

I live in NJ and my car was repo-ed tonight......I came here searching for an answer also...
I guy that towed it told me where my car would be and that the bank DOESN'T want our cars....they want the money..The car has less value..He said he has done many repos lately due to Christmas and 90% of people get their cars back.
He said to call and make an arrangement..So that's what I would do cause that's what I am gonna do first thing tomorrow am..
Good Luck to you

MammaWoo

My car was repo'd too on 1/3/05 I had dropped off one of my co-workers at midnight after work. Went in to use the bathroom and they drove off in my car (they had a key, even though when I lost my key they swore up and down they didn't have an extra one, LIARS). Now they want 860 bucks, that includes a 200 repo fee for driving it 1.7 miles to the lot, and because I couldn't get to work I have now lost my job as of today.

I live 30 miles away from my job so I had to find someone to take me home. I had just been back to work for two weeks because I had an emergency surgery and was off work for 12 weeks, with no pay since I only had 1 week of sick leave available, (I explained that to them and made arrangements to pay 1/7/05).

They gave me the standard 10 days to pay, but I know what the deal is. It's income tax time and they know people have/will get lump sums of money. And if I don't pay someone else will come up with a $1500 down like I did and they can sell the car to them for just as much as I am paying for it. I don't want to let the car go because I am vested 18 months. And I'll never file bankruptcy again, it's not worth it.

Question? If I pay them the "repo fee" do I have a right to request a copy of the reciept since they "passed" the cost on to me?

Because I want to file that on my taxes next year when I itemize. And I want to catch them in a lie, since they claimed verbally that they had to pay someone to do it. I think they did it and just charged me the 200 because they can. The dealership is a local home grown one that in house finances, they have been in the business for years and have a lot of contacts in this town.

MammaWoo

tabathadolley said:
Start your own thread. :cool:

Calm down no sense in wastin more cyber space for a new thread. Anyway... As I suspected they just wanted a lump sum I got my car back for 85% of the price and will be back on schedule by the end of this month just as I planned.

It is a worrysome thing to know you are trying to keep your car and do right. but just don't have enough to cover everything. I hope that you get it back and can stay ahead of the game at all costs.

Calm down no sense in wastin more cyber space for a new thread
If you have a question that you want answered, you need to start your own thread. Not only that, it is rude to steal another persons thread for your own question.

No need to calm down, I'm not worked up. Trying to help you out.

MammaWoo

First of all I thought this was the internet and I was unaware that you can have your own personal thread to ask a secondary question to in regards to the first question.

IMO it is not rude but, a valid question you nor I know if the person whose "thread" this is wouldn't like to know that too.

Don't assume if that's the only advice you can give.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">