• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Case dismissed with prejudice"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EddieHaskell

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I looked over my credit report today and Trans Union had a "Public Information" record for me from almost five years ago. When I was a student pilot, my flying club accused me of slamming and damaging a door on an old Cessna 152 to the tune of $1500. Since I knew it was a bogus claim I refused to pay it, and eventually quit the club.

They then filed a civil suit for $1500 against me in a local municipal court. We negotiated a private settlement between ourselves (they got to keep my deposit) and agreed to drop the case. A week later I received a certified letter telling me "Case dismissed with prejudice." As I understood it, the case was over, and they couldn't file it again, which they haven't.

When I look at my credit report I see the following: (I've removed the Plantiff and Case #)

Type: Civil Suit
Date Filed/Reported: 01/01/2002
How Filed: Individual
Reference #: <reference # removed by EddieHaskell>
Closing Date:
Court: Circuit Court
Plaintiff: <name removed by EddieHaskell>
Action Amount: $1500

This appears only for the Trans Union entry. Experian and Equifax have no entry at all. I understand that the credit reporting agencies poll the court system, but this looks strange. Trans Union has no closing date, and as the case was dismissed, and there doesn't seem to have been a judgement, is this even a valid entry? Can I have it removed?

Thanks for your answers in advance. I really appreciate them.What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">