• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell phone bill on a phone I never received

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shannon5

I signed up for cell phone service through sprint. I ordered a phone and after waiting 6 weeks and still not receiving it, I decided to cancel and go with a different provider. I began receiving bills for the phone I never received. I had spoken to numerous people at sprint. I even called the main office. I was promised and reassured multiple times that the bill was taken care of and no further action would be required on my part. I recently received a notice from a creditwatch company that I am in collections for Sprint and its affecting my credit. I never even held the phone in my hand let alone used it. What should I do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I signed up for cell phone service through sprint. I ordered a phone and after waiting 6 weeks and still not receiving it, I decided to cancel and go with a different provider. I began receiving bills for the phone I never received. I had spoken to numerous people at sprint. I even called the main office. I was promised and reassured multiple times that the bill was taken care of and no further action would be required on my part. I recently received a notice from a creditwatch company that I am in collections for Sprint and its affecting my credit. I never even held the phone in my hand let alone used it. What should I do?
Contact sprint.

shannon5

And, like I mentioned, I have contacted Sprint multiple times..even the boss of the boss of the boss. All promised it was taken care of. All promised I would never see a bill again. Now its in collections

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, like I mentioned, I have contacted Sprint multiple times..even the boss of the boss of the boss. All promised it was taken care of. All promised I would never see a bill again. Now its in collections
In order to protect your credit, you may wish to pay the bill and then continue in your efforts to have Sprint correct the problem. Talk to the collector about removing the item from your report in exchange for payment in full. Based on the circumstances, they may entertain the idea.

single317dad

Dispute the item with the credit bureaus. If Sprint can't affirm the debt, then they can remove the item from your credit report.

You didn't provide the name of your state, so I can't provide relevant examples, but if you're damaged financially by the item in your credit report, it's possible to seek compensation in court.

Next time you sign a written contract, demand a written release from said contract. You may find yourself stuck paying this bill because you signed a contract and you have no proof you were released from it. I wouldn't go down without a fight, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">