• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chances of getting derogatory collections removed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

My wife has two old derogatory collection accounts that we need to get resolved. My wife and I plan to negotiate with the two collection agencies but at this point in time these debts are long past the statute of limitations and I believe she would only have to wait another 18 months before they both should drop off the credit report. We are not interested in paying a settlement, we want to pay the full amount owed in exchange for them completely removing the entries from her report************** I was just curious to hear from anyone who has negotiated with collection agencies / creditors and have been in a situation where they have removed the entry in exchange for full payment......or am I completely dreaming about our chances of getting them to remove instead mark the entry as being paid. The other thing that I am aware of is that it could be an extreme tightrope negotiating with them because if she acknowledges the debt, the clock on the debt rewinds and so we lose our leverage I guess.....any advice would be very much appreciated

Thanks

FlyingRon

If it's gone to an independent collection agency your chances are slim The third party most likely can remove the items from your credit report even if they wanted to. It's outside their control.
Which clock are you referring to? If the debt is already outside the SOL, I'm not sure why you would pay them anything. Making a payment would reset the SOL clock. Negotiating does not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">