• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charge Off...how long on credit report....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MR CJ

What is the name of your state? Kentucky
Nearly 10 Years ago we had a hardship in the family and could not pay on a credit card. Bankone was the creditor and they were burying me in "over the limit" and "late" fees. I worked out a repayment plan with them and they agreed to stop the "fees"..I payed on the debt for 3 months and one day a Charge Off Notice came in the mail. I called them, and they said that the debt had been Charged Off.....So, I made no more payments to them.
A few months go by and we started to get the old collection agency calls, and I refused to pay. The amount of debt when the charge off happened was $3400.00 ....I have been harrassed over the years and now the collection agency says I owe them $6300.00!!!!! ....I sent them the cease letter and also demanding the amount of the original debt and also demanding that they include a debt dispute on my credit report......
How long can this stay on may credit report? the debt is approx. 10 years old......

Debt Guy

The Fair Credit Reporting Act says that the account may be reported on your credit report for 7 years and six months following the initial default.

Get a copy of your credit report as see what is being reported as the Date of Last Activity.

The period of reporting to the credit bureau has nothing to do with collection agencies calling you. Every state has a law that governs the statue of limitations for purposes of collecting the debt. I believe the SOL for a credit card in your state is 5 years following the initial default.

MR CJ

So, how do I get this off my credit report? Its been at least 10 years since the last activity....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">