• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chase private student loan chargeoffs - wage garnishment, 1099C form, or both?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SixFigureMess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

PROBLEM: I have over $19,000 in charged-off private student loans with Chase, with more on the way. I have re-iterated that I work no more than 29 hours a week. As someone told me, they don't think Chase will walk away from this since I owe so much. I even applied for a loan from my credit union to pay off part of the charge-off, but was denied.

QUESTION: Do you think it is likely Chase bank will try to pursue a wage garnishment, or do you think they'll realize it's useless and send out a 1099C cancellation of debt form? Or perhaps both? Or perhaps even take the money in my bank account?

Everyone I talk to Chase National Recovery Group (their internal charge-off department), they tell me they aren't at liberty to discuss what the bank may do. Joe H. called me back and said that the charged-off accounts are reviewed every business day, and there's not a "deadline" per se of when Chase Bank will take action. He said even if I were to send in $50, the bank could still take action because it's less than the agreed-upon amount (they only offered me $1,900 down + $400/month for 6 months, or just $1,900 as a 50% debt settlement for the smallest charge-off. They will not accept more than 50% off.)

I am new to this board, so I apologize if this doesn't belong here.

FlyingRon

Charge off means squat to you.

If this was not a federal student loan, they can't garnish wages in Virginia anyhow.
The can seize some personal assets (bank account balances) but they need to sue you and get a judgement first.

Proserpina

Charge off means squat to you.

If this was not a federal student loan, they can't garnish wages in Virginia anyhow.
The can seize some personal assets (bank account balances) but they need to sue you and get a judgement first.

Virginia does allow "regular" creditors to garnish the debtor's wages.

http://www.doli.virginia.gov/laborlaw/support_files/garnsupp_wholddebts.html

SixFigureMess

I spoke to the account representative for the charged-off loans, and she told me she *might* be able to get me a debt settlement of $6,000 for the $19,000 owed. Because I was rejected by 4 places I applied for a loan, she suggested I have my mother co-sign. Personally, I think this is a bad idea, but it would save me time and stress. On the other hand, I'd never forgive myself if my mother's credit was ruined.

SixFigureMess

How long can a wage garnishment last in Virginia?

I spoke to the account representative for the charged-off loans, and she told me she *might* be able to get me a debt settlement of $6,000 for the $19,000 owed. Because I was rejected by 4 places I applied for a loan, she suggested I have my mother co-sign. Personally, I think this is a bad idea, but it would save me time and stress. On the other hand, I'd never forgive myself if my mother's credit was ruined.
Does anyone know how long a wage garnishment can last in Virginia; i.e., is it true that my private student loans could be garnished for 10-20 years and renewed for another 10-20 years?

CreditCounselor

Chase, like some private loan lenders, may be willing to break up the settlement into a structured payment amount over 6 months or more. That might help to take the settlement.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

PROBLEM: I have over $19,000 in charged-off private student loans with Chase, with more on the way. I have re-iterated that I work no more than 29 hours a week. As someone told me, they don't think Chase will walk away from this since I owe so much. I even applied for a loan from my credit union to pay off part of the charge-off, but was denied.

QUESTION: Do you think it is likely Chase bank will try to pursue a wage garnishment, or do you think they'll realize it's useless and send out a 1099C cancellation of debt form? Or perhaps both? Or perhaps even take the money in my bank account?

Everyone I talk to Chase National Recovery Group (their internal charge-off department), they tell me they aren't at liberty to discuss what the bank may do. Joe H. called me back and said that the charged-off accounts are reviewed every business day, and there's not a "deadline" per se of when Chase Bank will take action. He said even if I were to send in $50, the bank could still take action because it's less than the agreed-upon amount (they only offered me $1,900 down + $400/month for 6 months, or just $1,900 as a 50% debt settlement for the smallest charge-off. They will not accept more than 50% off.)

I am new to this board, so I apologize if this doesn't belong here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">