• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

checking account garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BoscoKatz

What is the name of your state?washington
I just had my checking account garnished in the amount of 870.00 dollars for a emergency room visit I had in 2001. My insurance paid 80% and it was my belief they were to pay 100%. The patients portion I was left with was 230.00 the rest is fee's and late charges. I am not working right now and that was the last money I had to live off of. Is there anything I can do to reclaim the garnished funds?

B

blameshifting

BoscoKatz said:
What is the name of your state?washington
I just had my checking account garnished in the amount of 870.00 dollars for a emergency room visit I had in 2001. My insurance paid 80% and it was my belief they were to pay 100%. The patients portion I was left with was 230.00 the rest is fee's and late charges. I am not working right now and that was the last money I had to live off of. Is there anything I can do to reclaim the garnished funds?
In order to take funds from your checking account the hospital has likely billed you for some period of time, you didn't pay, they then sued you in court and you likely ignored that as well. As a result they likely obtained a default judgement against you. They then went back to court and obtained an order to take money from your checking account.

You ignored the bills
You ignored the lawsuit
You ignored the judgment
You're out of luck

Ladynred

Thats not necessarily true !

What was the source of the funds in your account ? Was any of it unemployment ?? Unemployment is exempt from siezure in WA. If that were the case, the funds could be recovered, but you only have a limited time in which to appeal the garnishment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">