• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

checking garnishment verses pay garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MCLEN

What is the name of your state? md.
why don't debt collections go for the paycheck,where they are sure to get money every week,instead of the checking account,wherethere are limited funds?

LovelyIsntIt

What is the name of your state? md.
why don't debt collections go for the paycheck,where they are sure to get money every week,instead of the checking account,where there are limited funds?
I wanted to expand on this a little. If you get a notice that you are going to be taken to court then it would make more sense that they would go after your paycheck instead of your account. Cause as soon as you get the notice you just change your direct deposit to a regular check or a check in the mail.

Now to answer the question...Most places you work at now only have an option where you can ONLY direct deposit your check. So, they are assured that they would get their money. So, make sure you get a job where they can hand you a check that you can take to a check cashing place to pay your bills.

racer72

You can only garnish a percentage of a paycheck, in my state it is 25% of the amount over the state minimum wage. On the other hand, I can levy the bank account and take everything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">