• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citation to Discover Assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

motts7

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IL

My brother has been served this Citation to Discover Assets. He lost a default judgement from a debt collector. But, he was never served the paperwork. I was the one that recieved the paperwork both times, he
does'nt live in this state no more and I have no idea where he is?

1. Is this serious a Citation to discover assets ?

2. What should I (and brother if I can ever get a hold of him) do?

3. Does he have to go and what would happen if he didn't?

4. It aslo states that he can be arrested for contempt of court, is that likely?

Debt Guy

My guess is that you messed up.

First, you received a summons for someone that you did not know where they lived.

Second, my guess is that you failed to contact the attorney who served the summons to tell them you don't know where your bother was.

Failure to appear can result in a bench warrant and your brother could be arrested.

If I were you, I would right now call the attorney and tell them this whole story. I really don't know what they will do.

motts7

I talked to the lawyer from the collection agency and he said to show up to court and tell the judge that I'm his brother.

Also, my brother has hired an attorney and has filed for chapter 7 and his attorney said don't even go and that he will take care of all it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">