• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

citation to discover assets HELP ME!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Linda8481

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IL

My bank account is put on hold by a credit card with a judgement against me. I am to go to court on Jan. 3 for a citation to discover assets. What does this mean? Please help. We are going to a bankrupty attorney next week. We are in debt so bad that we have to get help. Will the attorney be able to get our money on hold out of our checking account? I just want some answers since we are not going to see him until next week. We have bills to pay and no money. Merry Christmas to us!

seniorjudge

Linda8481 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IL

My bank account is put on hold by a credit card with a judgement against me. I am to go to court on Jan. 3 for a citation to discover assets. What does this mean? Please help. We are going to a bankrupty attorney next week. We are in debt so bad that we have to get help. Will the attorney be able to get our money on hold out of our checking account? I just want some answers since we are not going to see him until next week. We have bills to pay and no money. Merry Christmas to us!
A proceeding to discover assets is when you show up for court and you are asked where your assets are.

JETX

Linda8481 said:
What does this mean?
This means they are going to put you under oath and ask you LOTS of questions about what you own, where it is, etc.

Will the attorney be able to get our money on hold out of our checking account?
Probably not.

We have bills to pay and no money. Merry Christmas to us!
Probably the same thought that the judgment creditor has to getting stiffed.

Linda8481

JEXY I really don't appreciate you judging me. I have had very tough going. My husband passed away and left me with two little kids to raise. I was also left deep in debt. The reason I am in so much trouble is because I tried to pay my debts. I did it the wrong way. I kept borrowing from one card to pay another and now I am in serious financial trouble. Until you know the circumstances, don't judge people.

JETX

I love these 'newbie' idiots who somehow think that their random droolings are relevant... when they in fact offer NO legal information at all... or their information is not correct.

dcarklite101 said:
Stay in there Linda not all are the same and you can file an excempt form in Washington state with your bank that will stop a creditor from freezing your bank account.
WRONG on two counts!!!
First, the OP is in ILLINOIS... and most of us know that is NOT in Washington state!!!

Second, you can't even get your 'guess' right, as there is no such thing (in Washington OR Illinois OR any other state) allowing a judgment debtor to file an "excempt form...... with your bank that will stop a creditor from freezing your bank account."
The judgment debtor can file a motion to exempt the account seizure AFTER it is done. The court will then set a hearing for the debtor to appear and show a VALID exemption claim for the court to consider. If the court agrees, it will return those funds that are found to be exempt under state law.

Then if your money is from a disability income they can't touch it at all
Again WRONG.... and not relevant. There is NOTHING in this post to even suggest that the OP has any disability... or exemption for same.

but they will try Bush has fixed it so most middle and low income people are in a world of hurt if any thing happens such as yours.
Awwww, yes.... another 'Michael Moore' nitwit who blames everything on President Bush. At least do a LITTLE research into the facts on how a law is created before you show your ignorance to the world.

Last edited:

JETX

dcarklite101 said:
Washington state law RCW 6.15.o20 I have delt with it so you being a know it all "not" but who cares what you say - all I know is what worked for me. know nothings like you are an %%%^&^%(((%^%$ :D
Its idiots like this, who don't know that Washington state laws have NOTHING to do with this (since the OP is in ILLINOIS), that bring the value of this entire forum down about 3 points!!! :eek:
Ask Santa for a map, you nitwit!!

TigerD

dcarklite101 said:
Washington state law RCW 6.15.o20
What exactly does a law pertaining to "benefits payable to spouse" have to do with the OPs question?

OH, You mis-cited your reference. You meant to post RCW6.15.010 --Still doesn't apply.

The question was: Will a BK attorney in Il. be able to get monies frozen by a levy back? The answer is yes and no.

Tho 90 day rule could apply.

But the question at hand how are they going to pay the attorney without any money?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">