• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Summons and Civil Warrants questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TNTuxedoless

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

TN

I received a call this week, I believe from a process server, regarding a debt from a hospital stay, nearly six years ago. I believe that is what the debt has to be associated with although the very medical sounding name of the claimant entity is not attached to the hospital or any doctor that I saw.

He said he had a "civil warrant" to serve me for a court date in less than 15 days.

All associated with the hospital visit had long ago been dealt with. However, it would seem that server came to my place telling my roomate he had papers for me, about 8 months ago. No details were given and I never received any paper or had been made aware of any hearing specifics.

What is the difference between a summons, which I would think would be notice to appear at a hearing, and a civil warrant, which I would guess would indicate a judgement had been awarded by default? despite service having never been perfected or my never being notified of any such judgment.

Thanks for any clarification you can give.

Warrant sounds ugly, much uglier than a summons to appear for a civil hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">