• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-signed student loan forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needadvice737

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I have some questions about loan co-sign forgery and the steps and actions that need to be taken. My ex-wife, while we were married and estranged took out some student loans and co-signed my name without my knowledge. I didn't find out about these loans until about a year after our divorce. I contacted the loan offices for a copy of these loans and after viewing them it's very obvious that they where not signed by me.

I need to find out what the steps are to get this taken care of in a legal manner. I've confronted her about these loans and she always replies that it will be taken care of but hasn't for over a year. Do I need to setup a meeting to speak with some one at the AG about this? I really don't have a lot of money and was wondering if I would need to get legal representation?

I've thought about contacting the lenders but I'm afraid they won't take it seriously since all they really want is some one to repay these loans.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide me with.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

You need to contact the police to report the identity theft. It is the only way to get the loans out of your name.

nrknlknek

This is a serious matter. The actions have both civil and criminal implications. You will need to contact law enforcement as to the forgery issues. However, even if your ex is charged and convicted, this may not relieve you of the debt obligation. Advise you to contact a competent attorney.

StephenH

You need to contact law enforcement and file fraud charges. Additionally, you may need to submit a handwriting sample and have a graphologist or a forensic document examiner compare the signatures for evidence of forgery. If you can prove it was forged, and file the criminal charges you probably have a defense to their collection actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">