• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collectin agency making unauthorized charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blawlor888

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

I had a small amount of money in my bank account and on July 3rd I noticed I had two charges from a company called Checkredi. They both overdrafted my account which is a $35 fee for each charge. I tried contacting them by email about this and they will not reply to my emails. I have no idea who they were and I never authorized them to make these charges. I emailed them informing them about this and I did a little research on the company. They never informed me about any kind of debt by phone call or in the mail, so I never got a chance to dispute the debt which I know nothing about. For the next 5 days they continued to charge me $8.88 and $20 resulting in hundreds of overdraft fees. I emailed once again telling them I did not authorize them to do this and to please stop because each charge results in $35 fee. The next day they charged me 3 times instead of 2. One for $5, one for $3.88, and one for $50 and have done that again this morning. I think they did this purposely since I told them I get a $35 fee for each charge. They will not stop charging me, I made an appointment with the bank manager to go file paperwork to dispute the charges and was wondering what I can legally do about this. I read up and saw that debt collectors have to inform you of a debt and give you a chance to dispute it which they never did and I never authorized them to take any money out yet they keep doing it.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

I had a small amount of money in my bank account and on July 3rd I noticed I had two charges from a company called Checkredi. They both overdrafted my account which is a $35 fee for each charge. I tried contacting them by email about this and they will not reply to my emails. I have no idea who they were and I never authorized them to make these charges. I emailed them informing them about this and I did a little research on the company. They never informed me about any kind of debt by phone call or in the mail, so I never got a chance to dispute the debt which I know nothing about. For the next 5 days they continued to charge me $8.88 and $20 resulting in hundreds of overdraft fees. I emailed once again telling them I did not authorize them to do this and to please stop because each charge results in $35 fee. The next day they charged me 3 times instead of 2. One for $5, one for $3.88, and one for $50 and have done that again this morning. I think they did this purposely since I told them I get a $35 fee for each charge. They will not stop charging me, I made an appointment with the bank manager to go file paperwork to dispute the charges and was wondering what I can legally do about this. I read up and saw that debt collectors have to inform you of a debt and give you a chance to dispute it which they never did and I never authorized them to take any money out yet they keep doing it.

How did they get your bank account details?

blawlor888

Why didn't you get a new card from the bank after reporting the unauthorized charges?
I just did today, I went in and paid $30 so they can put a hold on my account to make sure no more charges go through and filled out papers to dispute the charges. I just wasn't sure if there is any kind of legal action I can take since they never informed me of any debt and never asked permission to make the charges.

Proserpina

CALL them.

I did find this after a token search...

This company seems to play two roles like you already found out. They apparently offer credit card processing services to somewhat non-traditional entities, likes school districts, etc. And if my quick perusal is correct they will guarantee the payment to their client (the school district, etc.). So in other words if your wife wrote a check to somebody a month ago, and it bounced for whatever reason, the payee still gets paid, but now CheckRedi is playing the role of collection agent for a debt that you now have with them.
The BBB lists two separate entities with the same website, one a payment processer, one a collection agent. And the contacts for the BBB listings match the WhoIs information for the website.

(from some random site)

Don't confuse debt collection laws with what's happening here - they're two completely different animals in this case.

Proserpina

I just did today, I went in and paid $30 so they can put a hold on my account to make sure no more charges go through and filled out papers to dispute the charges. I just wasn't sure if there is any kind of legal action I can take since they never informed me of any debt and never asked permission to make the charges.
You're confusing two very different things. This is not a debt collection agency - this is a service provider trying to get the money they think you owe them. They are not the same things.

single317dad

Someone has used your account details (either debit card, or bank routing/account numbers) to make a purchase for $8.88, and possibly for $20 (though that may be a declined or late payment charge). You should contact the police if this person was not you.

Does anyone use your account to pay for school lunches or fees?

Different banking institutions follow different rules regarding declined ACH transfers, if indeed this was such a transfer. The reason for the decline and the type of bank will determine whether or how often the payments can be resubmitted. In the case of NSF declines, most institutions only allow resubmission twice (for a total of three attempts to transfer). Splitting the payment into two smaller amounts may be an attempt to avoid that limitation.

jimnyc

CALL them...

Contact Information

406 Park Place
Lexington, KY 40511
Telephone: 1-800-686-9522
Fax: 1-859-231-7558

4925 Sparkman Dr.
Huntsville, AL 35810
Telephone: 1-800-239-1222
Fax: 1-256-890-3458

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">