• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting from a California Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwissick

I won a traffic case in Santa Clara County a few months back. I have yet to receive my refund for the case. When I contact them, I keep getting the run around. Every time the tell me to expect the refund, the date passes and nothing happens.

How long do they have to refund these? Is it even possible to sue a court in small claims?

cosine

Anyone can sue anyone for anything any time. Whether the case will be thrown out is another matter.

What are the dates involved? How long has this been going on?

jwissick

Was told to expect payment at the beginning of the month. Then told another two weeks after that date passed.

The two weeks has since passed and giving the state an interest free loan sticks in my craw. Especially since this has been one screw up after another on their part.

cosine

Was told to expect payment at the beginning of the month. Then told another two weeks after that date passed.

The two weeks has since passed and giving the state an interest free loan sticks in my craw. Especially since this has been one screw up after another on their part.
Call them every day. When they say something like "expect it in 2 weeks" ask them "but what happened to the payment from 4 weeks ago that you said to expect in 2 weeks ... explain THAT ... I bet you can't ... and since you can't, how can I trust that when you tell me now to expect it in 2 weeks that it is really on its way. And when I call you in 3 weeks to ask why it has still not arrived, what are you going to say then?".

I_Got_Banned

It takes a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks for a court to issue a refund after a dismissal. Assuming this is related to your other thread, it looks like you updated there on 12/07/2010, you're still at "6 weeks" from that date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">