• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection Agency called I already paid original bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rudytown

I had a debt from university. They sent to collection agency, I never received a letter, or spoke with anyone about the debt. I paid the college for the total which was $3200 before I knew it had gone to collections. The agency reported to my credit file a debt of $1100. I called them today asking about how it could be that I still owed over $1000. The debt was not more than what I paid. Can the agency charge me a $1000 fee? Do I have to pay them? Can I fight the debt? The person I talked to was not knowledgeable of my file and was having someone call me back next week. I want to be prepared with what I should say and do. I have no problem paying something to get it off my credit report, but $1000 seems excessive. Help please.

Just Blue

I had a debt from university. They sent to collection agency, I never received a letter, or spoke with anyone about the debt. I paid the college for the total which was $3200 before I knew it had gone to collections. The agency reported to my credit file a debt of $1100. I called them today asking about how it could be that I still owed over $1000. The debt was not more than what I paid. Can the agency charge me a $1000 fee? Do I have to pay them? Can I fight the debt? The person I talked to was not knowledgeable of my file and was having someone call me back next week. I want to be prepared with what I should say and do. I have no problem paying something to get it off my credit report, but $1000 seems excessive. Help please.
US Law Only

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">