• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection agency demanding court costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chickenlittle78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho - Collection agency sued 2 1/2 years ago for money owed to an internet service provider. I was in the process of moving to another city 200 miles away, did not appear in court, collection agency received judgement for $293. I have no intention of paying it. Collection agency is now sending nasty letters demanding $158 in court costs, plus an additional fee of $175. Can they actually sue me again for court costs they incurred from the original suit and judgement?

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You can use the "edit post" feature to add text and the name of your state to your original post, Chickenlittle.

If a collection agency has found it necessary to file suit against a debtor and the suit winds up in court (i.e., no settlement is reached prior to trial), the agency is entitled to collect along with any judgment their court costs and attorney fees.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho - Collection agency sued 2 1/2 years ago for money owed to an internet service provider. I was in the process of moving to another city 200 miles away, did not appear in court, collection agency received judgement for $293. I have no intention of paying it. Collection agency is now sending nasty letters demanding $158 in court costs, plus an additional fee of $175. Can they actually sue me again for court costs they incurred from the original suit and judgement?
The judgment is for $293 + court costs (filing fees, service fee, etc.) So, their request for the judgment amount + costs is likely correct. I'm not sure what the $175 is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">