• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection agency holding uncashed checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

_Nate_

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I tried a quick search, but I didn't run across anything. I've sent two checks ($50 each) to a collection agency. The first was sent in January, the other in February. They have yet to cash the checks. When I contacted the agency, they told me that the account was "no longer with them" and they would "forward" the checks to the collection agency that now holds the account. They have yet to "forward" the checks. When contacted again, I was told, "Just stop payment if you are so worried about it." Why should I pay $70 to stop payment on two non-consecutive checks totaling $100 if they can be returned to me or applied to the debt?? Surprisingly, they didn't have an answer for that question. The third time I contacted the agency about returning the checks, they basically told me there was nothing I could do to get the checks back and if I didn't like that answer I could call an attorney.

Are collection agencies required to cash checks within a reasonable amount of time, or can they hold them indefinitely? Is this collection agency legally obligated to return or destroy the checks if they no longer hold the account and I request them to do so? Are they obligated to cash the checks and apply the payment to the debt? Any ideas on what I can do about getting the checks back, short of retaining an attorney? Can I sue in Small Claims Court for the cost of stopping payment? I'm totally frustrated with these arrogant asses. :mad: Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Nate

_Nate_

The collection agency is Superior Asset Management. And it turns out that they just cashed the checks over a month after they were written, after they already informed me that they no longer have the account, and after they told me they "forwarded" the checks to another collection agency. Now they WON'T return the payment or forward the payment to the new account holder. What to do?

Debt Guy

The collection agency is Superior Asset Management. And it turns out that they just cashed the checks over a month after they were written, after they already informed me that they no longer have the account, and after they told me they "forwarded" the checks to another collection agency. Now they WON'T return the payment or forward the payment to the new account holder. What to do?

Hang on to your cancelled checks -- you will need it when the next CA shows up.

You must receive credit for your payment -- from someone -- you really don't care who.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">