• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection company violated payment agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SirDragoth

Arizona
I made a payment agreement with Grant & Weber last year-they agreed to withdraw $100 on the 2nd of each month (from my card) Well, back in February, the day after their monthly withdrawal, they repeated the transaction and pulled another $100. I promptly canceled my card and eemailed them, demanding an explanation. I left my email, my phone number, AND my debt account number, asking them to get back to me so we could sort this out.
Well, it's now August, and they finally got back to me-via a postal letter demanding payment in full or legal action will be pursued. Is there anything I can do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Arizona
I made a payment agreement with Grant & Weber last year-they agreed to withdraw $100 on the 2nd of each month (from my card) Well, back in February, the day after their monthly withdrawal, they repeated the transaction and pulled another $100. I promptly canceled my card and eemailed them, demanding an explanation. I left my email, my phone number, AND my debt account number, asking them to get back to me so we could sort this out.
Well, it's now August, and they finally got back to me-via a postal letter demanding payment in full or legal action will be pursued. Is there anything I can do?
Because of an easily remedied clerical error, you decided to cancel your card, thus breaching your agreement to pay. That was a bad move. I would suggest that you contact them to get this sorted out. By making a lump-sum payment of the $500 that you've set aside it may show good faith. You DID set aside the $100 per month that you haven't been paying, right?

SirDragoth

Because of an easily remedied clerical error, you decided to cancel your card, thus breaching your agreement to pay. That was a bad move. I would suggest that you contact them to get this sorted out. By making a lump-sum payment of the $500 that you've set aside it may show good faith. You DID set aside the $100 per month that you haven't been paying, right?
I did, actually.
Thank you-I will let you know how it goes.

bdancer

Arizona
This is one of the reasons payment plans to collection agencies are not a good idea. Always better to negotiate a lump sum settlement.

did you at least have the payment plan in writing? Oh and giving a collector direct access to your bank account is never a good idea. Duplicate payment or other problems are very common.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">