• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection from an estate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notanid10t

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM

I had an owner-financed property that I sold to someone. They walked away from the home before 6 months was up for a BS reason. I had to come in and fix up the house and sell it fast because I moved out of the country. I was going to sue him for the amount that he signed the original loan for minus the amount the home sold for plus costs. Before I was able to file suit, he was in a car accident and left in a vegetative state. Due to this happening, I was not able to file suit against him - he wasn't able to respond to it and it was my understanding I couldn't file suit under those circumstances.

This is where I dropped the ball. I didn't look into how to go about collecting upon this debt. What can I do to collect these monies? I know he had a stock market account and cash in his bank account when he died.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM

I had an owner-financed property that I sold to someone. They walked away from the home before 6 months was up for a BS reason. I had to come in and fix up the house and sell it fast because I moved out of the country. I was going to sue him for the amount that he signed the original loan for minus the amount the home sold for plus costs. Before I was able to file suit, he was in a car accident and left in a vegetative state. Due to this happening, I was not able to file suit against him - he wasn't able to respond to it and it was my understanding I couldn't file suit under those circumstances.

This is where I dropped the ball. I didn't look into how to go about collecting upon this debt. What can I do to collect these monies? I know he had a stock market account and cash in his bank account when he died.
Is this the same matter as you were dealing with here?: https://forum.freeadvice.com/buying-selling-home-40/owner-financing-stipulations-not-followed-through-borrower-616432.html

If so, then the advice still applies that you should speak to an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">