• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection Of Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ihatecontractor

What is the name of your state?NJ

The Contractor who built my house won a Judgement against me and my father for $12,000 for not allowing him to finish the job. My questions are if my father lives in PA and I work in PA but live in NJ. How hard would it be for the contractor to collect his money. Will he have to move the judgement to PA to garnish our wages? Would it be harder for him to do that if I change my living address to PA? Is there interest on the Judgement. Does the judgement have a statue of limits,,say if he puts a lein on my house to try and collect. My goal is to make it really hard for him to collect. Does interest accure if I appeal the Judgement?

I also don't quite understand the Judges rulling,,he ruled both parties are at fault but allowed him to collect much of the existing $s on the contract. Can't you fired someone even if there is a contract?

Debt Guy

Q. The Contractor who built my house won a Judgement against me and my father for $12,000 for not allowing him to finish the job. My questions are if my father lives in PA and I work in PA but live in NJ. How hard would it be for the contractor to collect his money.

A. There several things a judgment creditor can do to collect -- garnish wages, garnish bank accounts, attach a lien to real estate, etc.

Q. Will he have to move the judgement to PA to garnish our wages?

A. Yes, assuming the judgment was granted in NJ. However, PA does not allow a wage garnishment.

Q. Would it be harder for him to do that if I change my living address to PA?

A. Again, PA does not allow garnishment of wages. Which raises a question I don't know the answer to: if you live in NJ but work in PA, will PA allow a granishment of wages earned in PA by a NJ resident?

Q. Is there interest on the Judgement.

A. Yes, state law governs the interest on a judgment.

Q. Does the judgement have a statue of limits,,say if he puts a lein on my house to try and collect.

A. A judgment does have a SOL, but judgments can be renewed in most states. Judgments typically have a longer SOL period that most debts.

Q. My goal is to make it really hard for him to collect. Does interest accure if I appeal the Judgement?

A. I don't know for positive, but common sense says yes. Your attorney would know the answer.

Q. I also don't quite understand the Judges rulling,,he ruled both parties are at fault but allowed him to collect much of the existing $s on the contract. Can't you fired someone even if there is a contract?

A. The judge has ruled and I must assume he considered all the facts put before him by the respective attorneys in accordance with state law. The appeals court exists for this kind of issue. Your attorney should have explained the decision and reasoning to you.

Good luck.

JETX

Ihatecontractor said:
How hard would it be for the contractor to collect his money. Will he have to move the judgement to PA to garnish our wages? Would it be harder for him to do that if I change my living address to PA?
I don't know of any RESPONSIBLE person who will help you in avoiding to pay a valid court judgment. Stop 'playing games' and contact the creditor to negotiate a settlement and payment schedule.

Is there interest on the Judgement.
Yes.

Does the judgement have a statue of limits
Yep. 20 years in NJ and 5 years (renewable) in PA.

say if he puts a lein on my house to try and collect. My goal is to make it really hard for him to collect.
See above.

Does interest accure if I appeal the Judgement?
Yes.

Can't you fired someone even if there is a contract?
You can if you abide by the terms of the contract. If in breach, no.

Last edited:

hbreen

JETX, my sentiments exactly!

Quit trying to scam out of your debt. A judge found you had to pay - pay up!

Ihatecontractor

hbreen said:
JETX, my sentiments exactly!

Quit trying to scam out of your debt. A judge found you had to pay - pay up!
Just because a Judge rules against you doesn't mean its correct. So you and JETX can keep your opinions to yourself. Just hope you never in the same situation that I was in.

JETX

Ihatecontractor said:
Just because a Judge rules against you doesn't mean its correct.
No, but it means you have to pay (or suffer the consequences)!!

So you and JETX can keep your opinions to yourself.
Awwww, did the truth hurt your little feelings??

Just hope you never in the same situation that I was in.
I won't. Want to know why??
1) I do my 'due diligence' on a contractor before entering into a contract with him.
2) I also make sure that my contract has sufficient provisions for termination if needed.
3) I also don't take the risk of breaching the contract by trying to 'fire' him.
4) And finally, if I did have to take the contractor to court, you can bet that I would win. :D

Ihatecontractor

doesn't hurt my feeling, its just very frustrating having a judegment against you that really isn't totally fair. I am a computer consultant and really didn't think all this would ever come to that. But in hind sight all you said is very true.

Since you really don't know the whole story you can keep you f-cking opinion to yourself. I am on this site for Free Advice on legal issues. I wasn't looking for some loser opinions. :eek:

JETX

Ihatecontractor said:
doesn't hurt my feeling, its just very frustrating having a judegment against you that really isn't totally fair.
Fair is in the eye of the 'winner'. You aren't.

I am a computer consultant
So, how are things at Radio Shack??

and really didn't think all this would ever come to that.
If all the facts came out, I would bet you simply 'hoped' that the thing would go away and ignored ALL notices from the creditor.... and didn't even show up in court, huh??

But in hind sight all you said is very true.
Thank you.

Since you really don't know the whole story you can keep you f-cking opinion to yourself.
Oh, oh!! That 'other person' in you is trying to break out!!! In the sentence immediately before this one, you said that everything I said was "very true". Now you are saying that I don't know the whole story!! So, which is it??

I am on this site for Free Advice on legal issues.
And you got it.

I wasn't looking for some loser opinions.
ROTFLMAO!!! And of course, YOU are the person who LOST the lawsuit against you!! So, who IS the loser here??

Ihatecontractor

This is my last reply as I really don't have time for all this,,I need to go back to stocking the shelves at the grocery store.

Anyway I said all you had to say is true in that I should have done my homework before I sign any contract. Honestly the contractor was an ass and I did everything in my power to resolve the issue. It was a summer home and he knew he had us by the balls b/c it was close to the summer and he did think we would get anyone else to finish the job. I was willing to let him finish but I wasn't willing to pay him up front as that was NOT in the contract.

I lost the case b/c I had Henry "The Hammer" Jones as a lawyer,,last time I use Hyatt Legal Services.

Anyone you two losers,,have fun with the online dating and internet pron you will be looking at this weekend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">