• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection of membership dues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Law Illiterate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My timeshare finance department sent my owners maintenance dues account to a collection agency on 3/7 for dues that were owed in January. My next payment for dues wouldn't be until April but when they sent the bill to collections in March they added April dues to the collections as well. I never received a bill for my dues from the timeshare company for April because it went to collections agency. I paid the dues to the company prior to receiving the letter from the collection agency but after the company sent my acct to collections. Along with the amount owed, there was a few other fees that were all covered by my payment made and cashed on 3/23, but there was a $67 fee from the collections agecy that it didn't cover and because of that my acct stayed in collections. Obviously since I didn't get my April bill, that now too is part of the collections, along with another fee. I am just wondering if it is legal for them to add the dues for April when they sent the account to collections and March.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">