• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gello1305

My ex-girlfriend bought a bed on her credit while we are together. when she broke up with me 10 years ago, she left the bed at my place. Now she's being contacted by collections and she gave them my information to assume the debt. Can she do that?

justalayman

My ex-girlfriend bought a bed on her credit while we are together. when she broke up with me 10 years ago, she left the bed at my place. Now she's being contacted by collections and she gave them my information to assume the debt. Can she do that?
Well, obviously she did do that but she cannot transfer her liability for the debt to you if that is what you meant.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry - this forum is for US law only.

ETA: I see from one of your other (unsuccessful) posts, that this matter relates to California.

As justalayman said, your ex can't legally force you to assume this debt. However, the collector is going to use whatever tricks s/he can in order to get someone to pay. How have you been contacted?

Gello1305

Sorry - this forum is for US law only.

ETA: I see from one of your other (unsuccessful) posts, that this matter relates to California.

As justalayman said, your ex can't legally force you to assume this debt. However, the collector is going to use whatever tricks s/he can in order to get someone to pay. How have you been contacted?
She left the phone number of the collection company with my sister and I called because I was told it concerns my credit. When I spoke to them they told me that no it's not under my credit but my ex told them that I'm taking responsibility for it. I'm worried if she can take me to court since she left the bed with me. But I was unaware that it was not paid off.

quincy

The bed your ex-girlfriend purchased on credit was left at your place ten years ago? When did your ex-girlfriend last make a payment on the bed?

Gello1305

The bed your ex-girlfriend purchased on credit was left at your place ten years ago? When did your ex-girlfriend last make a payment on the bed?
Im not sure but I'm guessing probably 10 years ago. They're probably going after her everyday and she's telling them to contact me since she left it with me. I'm not even in communications with her but she told the collection agency that I'm going to take care of it. This is All a shock to me.

Zigner

Im not sure but I'm guessing probably 10 years ago. They're probably going after her everyday and she's telling them to contact me since she left it with me. I'm not even in communications with her but she told the collection agency that I'm going to take care of it. This is All a shock to me.
Don't talk to the collection agency any more.

Zigner

I'm not planning to but can she go after me in court?
It's America - anyone (just about) can sue anyone (just about) at any time (just about) - what a country!

What you're really asking is how likely she is to sue (we don't know) and, if she does sue, how likely is she to win (not very).

Gello1305

It's America - anyone (just about) can sue anyone (just about) at any time (just about) - what a country!

What you're really asking is how likely she is to sue (we don't know) and, if she does sue, how likely is she to win (not very).
Got it.
Thank you everyone for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">