• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collections agency never sent me notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zsuzsikat

What is the name of your state? NY

There is a collections account posted on my credit report by NCO-MARLIN, posted in 2003. The same company reported it again in February of this year. It's only for $174 that was a charge from a dubious telephone company whose service I had cancelled after many troubles and no actual working service. I disputed their $174 charge, which apparently ended up in collections despite my complaints. At this point, I'm willing to pay the $174 just to get the darn "Collection - seriously past due" statement off my credit report but NCO-MARLIN NEVER CONTACTED ME. I have never received any notice or statement of collection from them and I can't locate their company contact info online. Besides, it's ridiculous that I'm the one who has to do research to get in touch with them when they're ones supposedly waiting on payment from me.
I'm not sure what I should do at this point and waiting for a notice from them is obviously fruitless.

dlbennett620

NCO is a collection agency with an address in PA.

They have a very bad reputation and an action was filed against them by the FTC. The action resulted in a $1.5 million settlement from NCO in May, 2004.

"One of the nation’s largest debt-collection firms will pay $1.5 million to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that it violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) by reporting inaccurate information about consumer accounts to credit bureaus. The civil penalty against Pennsylvania-based NCO Group, Inc. is the largest civil penalty ever obtained in a FCRA case." (Press Release regarding the FTC charges)

I am also in NY and I also have a listing from NCO on my credit report that is inaccurate and incorrect. I have filed a complaint against them with the FTC as they are violating the terms of their settlement with the FTC. I would suggest you also file a complaint with the FTC against them and request the FTC to send you documentation showing you have filed the complaint. They will send you a letter indicating the FTC complaint number (I just received mine today).

I would mail a copy of the FTC complaint and a copy of the action/settlement to all 3 credit bureaus requesting validation and removal of the account. After speaking with an FTC representative this past week myself, she is the one who indicated I should mail a copy of the action/settlement against NCO with a copy of the complaint filed with the FTC to the credit bureaus as proof that NCO is not validating debts properly and is "redating" accounts as they had previously done before the FTC settlement in May, 2004.

The link below is to the FTC website regarding the case against NCO. The contact information for NCO is also on this website if you would like to contact them or send correspondence to them also.

http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/9923012/9923012.htm

Good luck to you!

Diane

Ladynred

First of all, credit bureaus are NOT required to VALIDATE anything, Validation is in Section 809 of the FDCPA and it is what you request FROM THE COLLECTION AGENCY. Credit bureaus don't 'validate' anything, they 'verify' - or they're supposed to.

Merely reporting to the bureaus is not 're-aging' UNLESS NCO changes the date of last activity, which should remain the same as the DOLA for the ORIGINAL DEBT. I find it doubtful that the credit bureaus will remove a valid tradeline just because NCO got spanked by the FTC. If you DISPUTE the tradeline and NCO 'verifies' the bureau isn't going to remove it. Now, if you send a validation demand letter to NCO and they FAIL to validate w/in a reasonable time and they then VERIFY with the credit bureaus, THEN you have something use. If they can't/won't validate the debt to you (meaning prove you owe the debt), then how can they turn around and VERIFY its valid with the credit bureaus ??

Since being spanked by the FTC, NCO folds fairly quickly when you actually challenge them. The complaint to the FTC is definitely necessary, they need to know that NCO is still violating the law and their settlement terms, but don't expect a personal response of any sort from the FTC. They will sit back and collect complaints and when they have enough of them to warrant action, they'll DO something about it.

Last edited:

dlbennett620

If you DO request documentation of your complaint from the FTC, they will send it to you, ask the FTC representative to mail the information to you. The FTC files the complaints and decides upon filing an action against the company you are complaining about based upon the amount of other complaints they have received.

Ladynred you are INCORRECT. I received my documentation today along with two very informational packets from the FTC.

Ladynred, do you have anything better to do with your life besides trying to "correct" everyone else? You are one of the most miserable human beings I have ever had the misfortune to come into contact with. This original post was dated May 5, 2005. Why is it you are just responding to it today when it doesn't ever seem to take you anytime at all to respond to posts. If you had some much information about NCO and you knew the answers (as you seem to keep trying to prove), why is it you never responded to this post before now???

Or are you just now responding because you want to try to "correct" me as you have tried previously, get over yourself?

Ladynred

Oh, honey, I DO have a LIFE ya know and I do NOT spend ALL my time on these boards. The board has been VERY active this last few days, so this post probably slipped past the first page and I simply didn't SEE it. I don't answer EVERY post and I'm certainly not OBLIGATED to do so.

As for all that info you got from the FTC .. good for you, I'm glad you're happy. However, what you got was a typical 'packet' from the FTC. I wasn't referring to PR responses. The FTC does not take action on INDIVIDUAL COMPLAINTS, they don't operate that way. They're not going to contact NCO because YOU complained, they compile a LOT of complaints and when they have enough evidence that shows there's definitely something worth looking into, THEN they act. That is EXACTLY what they did when they took down CAMCO and exactly what they did when they smacked NCO last year.

Lastly, I truly don't care what YOUR opinion of me is, if you don't like my posts, go somewhere else. When something is posted, by anyone, that I know is inaccurate or incorrect, I'm gonna say something and so will OTHER senior members here. Are you going to call them names too ???

dlbennett620

As for all that info you got from the FTC .. good for you, I'm glad you're happy. However, what you got was a typical 'packet' from the FTC. I wasn't referring to PR responses.
You are not accurate in your post. I not only received a letter from the FTC regarding my complaint against NCO but also informational brochures. It was not a "typical packet" and "PR responses" as you indicated and how would you know as you do not know what was contained in the letter and enclosures I received from the FTC.

The FTC does not take action on INDIVIDUAL COMPLAINTS, they don't operate that way. They're not going to contact NCO because YOU complained, they compile a LOT of complaints and when they have enough evidence that shows there's definitely something worth looking into, THEN they act. That is EXACTLY what they did when they took down CAMCO and exactly what they did when they smacked NCO last year.
I never mentioned in my post that the FTC would take action on INDIVIDUAL COMPLAINTS as you indicated, I just mentioned the action previously taken against NCO and that zsuzsikat should file a complaint with the FTC. I also only mentioned what I was told specifically by the representative from the FTC as a suggestion to send a letter to all the credit bureaus including a copy of the action taken against NCO to show the credit bureaus that NCO has done this before (as in my case it was regarding redated items). The FTC representative indicated it could help when disputing an incorrect item reported by NCO on a credit report and it was worth a try.

Lastly, I truly don't care what YOUR opinion of me is, if you don't like my posts, go somewhere else. When something is posted, by anyone, that I know is inaccurate or incorrect, I'm gonna say something and so will OTHER senior members here. Are you going to call them names too ???
First of all, I never called you a name. You have every right in the world to post whatever you want, but you also should know the complete facts you indicate are incorrect in someone else's post before you send a post trying to correct them. You do have alot of knowledge regarding the credit industry as shown in your numerous posts, but you do not know the facts regarding my complaint against NCO and you can't say something I suggested or mentioned is incorrect if you do not know the individual results I had. I never mentioned that zsuzsikat would have the same results, I merely mentioned my personal experience regarding a similar situation with NCO.

Unless you have personally spoke to the FTC regarding NCO and personally received a letter from the FTC for an NCO complaint you filed (as I have), then how do you know that my post was incorrect and this process will not work for zsuzsikat????????????? You don't!

JETX

dlbennett620 said:
If you DO request documentation of your complaint from the FTC, they will send it to you, ask the FTC representative to mail the information to you.
First, the FTC does not get personally involved with every complaint. The normal response from the FTC on a complaint will be a packet of general 'consumer' information. If the particular debt collector has a history with the FTC (as in this case), the FTC may have a 'special' packet including specific information on that history.
Presumably, that is what you received in this case.

The FTC files the complaints and decides upon filing an action against the company you are complaining about based upon the amount of other complaints they have received.
That is correct.

Ladynred you are INCORRECT. I received my documentation today along with two very informational packets from the FTC.
Without specifics as to what how you feel LIR is incorrect..... there is no way to answer other then a general..... Ladynred is VERY knowledgeable about debtor rights and I will put her credibility ahead of most other 'new' responders on this forum.

Ladynred, do you have anything better to do with your life besides trying to "correct" everyone else?
Ladynred has provided an incredible amount of assistance on this forum. Far more than some 'wannabe' newbie (hint!!).

You are one of the most miserable human beings I have ever had the misfortune to come into contact with.
Then you have surely led a sheltered life and I suggest you open your door a little. There are many worse people out there.... and yes, I am one of them. Simply, you 'piss on' Ladynred, and you are pissing on a LOT of valuable members here. And that, darlin', is a sure way to get your ass kicked off the forum. Want to see how fast I can do that??? Just keep up your crap!!

This original post was dated May 5, 2005. Why is it you are just responding to it today when it doesn't ever seem to take you anytime at all to respond to posts.
What the hell are you talking about?? Are you off your meds??
Ladynred's first post to this thread was made only EIGHTEEN minutes after yours!!!
You need to learn how to tell time.... or don't they teach that in your 'protected little world'??

If you had some much information about NCO and you knew the answers (as you seem to keep trying to prove), why is it you never responded to this post before now???
Again, proof you have NO idea what you are talking about!!

Or are you just now responding because you want to try to "correct" me as you have tried previously, get over yourself?
Nah.... it is simply too easy to correct your crap-filled posts. And presumably, LIR has far more important things to do that try to clean up after you. However, I have plenty of time to do so.... and have my target on you from here on. At least until I get tired of doing it and just kick you to the side of the road!!

Wanna play???

Flowers

Collections Agency never sent me notice

dlbennett620 , you just got here....so did I...I feel though, that you can respond without calling someone "a miserable human being", or tell her to "get over yourself".

Honestly, we are all here for help not to say things we would not like to hear about ourselves.

Ladynred has been very helpful and I appreciate her very much. If you have a different viewpoint then express yourself in a kind manner...Thank you. :)

Magdalena :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">