• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collections Removed from Your Credit Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverline

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

There was an outstanding medical bill incurred in 2013 that has been in collections for over a year. I've been reluctant to settle due to the negative effect it could have on my credit report. That seems weird to me but this is my understanding when you pay off bills that are in collections.

Now that my credit score is over 700 and my financials more stable I was going to ask my realtor what they recommend. I've been slowly paying off all of my past due bills [this was one of the last] while keeping everything else current. To my surprise when I checked my credit report today on Credit Karma * I was surprised to see my score increased by 30 points and when I looked further discovered the bill in collections removed.

When a previous collection suddenly is removed from a credit report is it really gone or will it be it discovered when applying for a [mortgage] pre-approval? I'm also curious, why was it removed?

* As reported from TransUnion and Equifax.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">