• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collector mail being sent to my kid's school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Daggerbee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My kid came home from school with a school envelope that had the collector's mail (envelope and all) inside. It was opened, because they probably open about 30 pieces of mail a day and didn't think it would be something for a student's parent. So, my debt info is now known by many strangers in the school office. It was addressed to my name and "c/o" the school's name and address. Is this legal? Can they just send my mail to anyone they think might know me? Seems haphazard and dangerous to me. Please advise!

single317dad

Who is collecting the debt? (e.g., the original creditor, a collector working for the OC, or a third party altogether who has purchased the debt?)

Depending on circumstances, it may be illegal for your creditor to disclose your debt to an uninvolved party, but it could be argued that had the school not handled the mail incorrectly, that wouldn't have happened. For what it's worth, I don't know that the school was or wasn't incorrect in opening the mail, but any case you could bring may hinge on that.

Daggerbee

Who is collecting the debt? (e.g., the original creditor, a collector working for the OC, or a third party altogether who has purchased the debt?)

Depending on circumstances, it may be illegal for your creditor to disclose your debt to an uninvolved party, but it could be argued that had the school not handled the mail incorrectly, that wouldn't have happened. For what it's worth, I don't know that the school was or wasn't incorrect in opening the mail, but any case you could bring may hinge on that.

I wondered about the school's mail handling position. Regardless, it feels like a breach of my privacy in some way. What sort of research are they doing that netted my daughter's school info?! How can it be acceptable legally for them to arbitrarily send my mail to an institution that relates to me in a very small way? Besides legality, it is embarrassing, and a lot like harassment. What laws might apply to these types of questionable activities?

Daggerbee

I wondered about the school's mail handling position. Regardless, it feels like a breach of my privacy in some way. What sort of research are they doing that netted my daughter's school info?! How can it be acceptable legally for them to arbitrarily send my mail to an institution that relates to me in a very small way? Besides legality, it is embarrassing, and a lot like harassment. What laws might apply to these types of questionable activities?
Oh, and it is from a collection company. The originating debt is a water bill following a burst pipe and issues of payment for legit use vs. broken pipe/flooded basement amount. We were renting, and told that the owner's insurance paid the remainder. Can't get any response in that situation either.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your beef is with the school for opening mail that was not addressed to them.

LdiJ

Your beef is with the school for opening mail that was not addressed to them.
I agree...at least I think I do, but its bizarre as heck for a debt collector to send mail in care of a school...and possibly improper.

single317dad

Oh, and it is from a collection company. The originating debt is a water bill following a burst pipe and issues of payment for legit use vs. broken pipe/flooded basement amount. We were renting, and told that the owner's insurance paid the remainder. Can't get any response in that situation either.
You should find a way to get proof that this bill is already paid. That will probably require the landlord's cooperation.

It is definitely improper for a secondary debt buyer to disclose your debt to a third party. The question remains: is that what they actually did, since the school opened your mail? My opinion is that the collector is in the wrong. You should consult a local attorney, with whom you can discuss the possibility of suing the debt collector.

FarmerJ

I too think the school had no business opening this mail , they simply should have refused it and wrote on it ` this person does not live here , return to sender`

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">