• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collector refuses to Verify Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hq54

What is the name of your state? California

Hello Everyone,

I have been receiving calls from someone who only stated his name, but never from where he was calling, or for what. I ignored it, mostly thinking that it was a sales thing, but the calls continued.

I finally contacted them a couple of weeks ago. I spoke to someone who told me I owe money on a lease for a car that I turned in. I made all the payments, so I thought it was a mistake. I asked him to confirm and verify the debt, with an itemized bill. He said it would take a week to get the information. In the meantime, the calls continued. I called yesterday to see what the status was. The person I spoke to refused to transfer me to the person I spoke to 3 weeks ago. After telling her of the conversation from 3 weeks ago, she said "there was no record of my previous call" Mind you I made a notation in my calendar of the conversation, including his name. O.K., then lets start again. I asked her for confirmation of the debt, and she said " You know you owe the money, and for what. I don't have to prove anything to you" Eventually, she said that I owe money for the end of the lease fee, and for reconditioning of the vehicle. I asked her for an itemized bill, and again, she refused, saying she didn't have to provide one. She then made a comment about my last name, which while innappropriate, I doubt rises to the level of harrassment. I again asked her for confirmation of the debt, and she said "You had the car, you know how you returned it, youo know what the amount is for" She said that they had sent out numerous letters and called numerous times. I have recordings of the VM messages, and never once did they identify why or from where they were calling.

So, do they have to provide me proof of the debt. They have already reported me to the credit bureau. I do not believe I owe anything to the leasing company.

What should/can I do, and what are my responsibilities, and what is the responsibilities of the collection agency and agent??

Thanks,
Mike

Ladynred

I asked her for confirmation of the debt, and she said " You know you owe the money, and for what. I don't have to prove anything to you"
Yes, she does IF, big IF, you make your request IN WRITING !!

Head over to www.creditinfocenter.com and read up on the process of debt validation. You can also find sample letters there and more help in the forums.

hq54

Thanks for the info.

I checked out that link, and was able to find several "example" letters. Thanks for the info.

Pulled my credit report today, and there is another unknown "collection" on it, as well as another one to which I sent, unfortunately via fax, a dispute letter. They went and updated my credit report to say "subscriber reports dispute resolved, consumer disagrees" What does that mean. Who is the subscriber. Why, if they know I dispute it, and I have never been shown proof of the debt, can it still be on my credit report.

Time to send several letters.

Michael

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">