• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company/Individual sends bill for incorrect amount and threatens collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

techtoys617

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I want to start by thanking you for taking time from your busy schedules to assist me.

I posted an add on Craigslist stating I would pay a specified hourly rate for services. We settled up after the first day with no problems. The second day, the individual asked for more money after working 3.5 hours. I declined. The individual was offended by this, hopped in the car and sped off without offering and invoice or giving me a chance to pay. Later that same day, he puts and invoice in my mailbox for an amount equivalent to 6 hours of work. His invoice has a hand written company name at the top and no detail in the description except an amount and the word "Fence". I disputed the invoice over email, but I was only met with emotionally charged emails containing vulgar insults and threats of vandalism. I repeatedly offered to submit payment for 4 hours of work once the invoice was corrected, but the individual refused. Now, 3 days later, this individual tells me he has sold my debt to a collection agency.

I don't mean to give the impression that I believe all of this is true, but it raised concerns. I have excellent credit and want to keep it that way, but I don't want to give in to a scam. How likely is it that this person could sell this inflated "debt" to a collection agency?

P.S. - Do I have options? Can I take a legal offensive? I can afford to pay the bill, I just don't like being scammed.

Last edited:

I posted an add on Craigslist stating I would pay a specified hourly rate for services. We settled up after the first day with no problems. The second day, the individual asked for more money after working 3.5 hours. I declined. The individual was offended by this, hopped in the car and sped off without offering and invoice or giving me a chance to pay. Later that same day, he puts and invoice in my mailbox for an amount equivalent to 6 hours of work. His invoice has a hand written company name at the top and no detail in the description except an amount and the word "Fence". I disputed the invoice over email, but I was only met with emotionally charged emails containing vulgar insults and threats of vandalism. I repeatedly offered to submit payment for 4 hours of work once the invoice was corrected, but the individual refused. Now, 3 days later, this individual tells me he has sold my debt to a collection agency.

I don't mean to give the impression that I believe all of this is true, but it raised concerns. I have excellent credit and want to keep it that way, but I don't want to give in to a scam. How likely is it that this person could sell this inflated "debt" to a collection agency?

P.S. - Do I have options? Can I take a legal offensive? I can afford to pay the bill, I just don't like being scammed.
If I were you, I would be more worried about his threats of vandalism than his threats of selling the debt to a collection agency (who would pay for such a debt?).

single317dad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I want to start by thanking you for taking time from your busy schedules to assist me.

Did you ever sign an agreement to pay anything? Your emails offering to pay could be used against you, but like Mark I don't see any debt collector paying for this debt.

Check your credit report. I doubt there's any mention of this on there, but it's worth a look.

If he has indeed sold the debt, then he has no further right to collect on it. Cease all communications with this person immediately. If he sold the debt to Vito's Leg Breaking Service, well, that's a different matter altogether.

If he ever sues you, offer to pay the 3.5 hours for the actual work done but unpaid. It seems you declined initially to pay that amount on day two. Why?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">