• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Correct Re-Aged Debt BEFORE SOL expires or ignore until after SOL expires?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Autumn321

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I am located in NJ I have a question regarding re-aged debt. I have a $90 unpaid medical debt incurred in December 2009 which went to collections in early 2010. I have never made payment on the debt, never promised to pay the debt to the provider nor any collections agency, never acknowledged this was my debt with the provider or any collection agency. The debt is now re-aged on my credit report showing a brand new 2012 date, which is 36 months after the debt was actually incurred.

Should I take any action NOW to correct the re-aged debt or wait for the 6 year NJ statute of limitations to expire in December 2015 to make any attempt to correct ? thanks

FlyingRon

SOL has nothing to do with your credit report. Protesting the incorrect information on the credit report will not change the SOL.
Might as well do it now.

TigerD

Before you do anything, make sure you are reading your credit report correctly.

Very few people understand how to read the gobblyguck that the CRAs pretend is your credit report.

Take a day or two and re-read the report. It is far more likely that the version you are reading is misleading than it is that the CA made a mistake like that.

DC

bdancer

Derogatory items age off your credit report 7-1/2 years from the date of first deficiency (default). That is not the same as the report date. If the debt went to a new collection agency, the report date would be that 2012 which has absolutely nothing to do with when it will age off.

If you don't plan to negotiate payment with the collection agency, I suggest you just let sleeping dogs lie. Any kind of dispute over this will be denied because it isn't really re-aged and you may stir up the collection agency.

Oh and the reporting period and the state SOL are two completely different things and one has no bearing on the other.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">