• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cosign of student loans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranquility

Sometimes we get a bit much into what a person "should" do over what they must do. When we start getting into what the third party should do? I suspect the OP would LOVE such a thing to happen. LOVE.

LdiJ

But she could get a job...Even part time to pull in a few hundred a month to start paying her parents back.
Maybe, possibly, depending on info we do not have. The daughter could feel helpless in the situation or she could be just as selfish as her husband. However, I am still leaning towards the husband, because of the tax issues. If he is that neglectful of taxes I am quite sure that he doesn't care one bit whose credit scores are effected by his wife's student loans not being paid...because it does not effect HIS.

Soundman

So I've learned that our daughter is planning on filing some sort of bankruptcy. I've also found out this is a unsecured loan not a student loan in any way. If she filed for chapter 7 or for protection what happens to us as the cosigners?

Soundman

She can pay if she wanted to. Has paid some on them all ready. She's flat out screwing us because she feels entitled and knows that were also on the hook for it.

LdiJ

So I've learned that our daughter is planning on filing some sort of bankruptcy. I've also found out this is a unsecured loan not a student loan in any way. If she filed for chapter 7 or for protection what happens to us as the cosigners?
Sadly, she would be released from responsibility for the loan and you would become solely responsible for the loan unless you also file for bankruptcy.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
She can pay if she wanted to. Has paid some on them all ready. She's flat out screwing us because she feels entitled and knows that were also on the hook for it.
Well, if that's her attitude, then you know what you have to do.

Protect yourself, and consider the trouble she's caused her inheritance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">