• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

counterclaim now or later???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fedupinwyoming

[name of state... wyoming
1. went to purchase a new vehicle
2. found a collection on credit report that was from a construction company from last year that did not honor the contract in fact they didn't do any of the work.
3 called the collection company same day.
4. they told me to send a letter of dispute, I enquired to the address, they said that they would send me a letter.
5. Got the letter the next day with invalid information. agency gave me twelve days to pay, no dispute timeline, said to pay in full. and threatened that a "friendly settlement" would be out of the question.
6 Replied same day with dispute letter for debt.
7. 28 days later got a letter saying pay now.
8 Same day, sent another letter of dispute. asking for a copy of signed contract, name, address etc..
9. four months later got served with papers for a summary judgement.
10. Disputed the summary, got a court date. it's in 14 days..

my question is, do i countersue under the fair debt collection act? I have them on several points including misrepresentation of the amount of the debt.

I have researched several points of law, this is filed in curcuit court. do I not have to file in District as far as a counterclaim goes?

PS,,,they still have not posted on my credit file that this debt is being disputed .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">