• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court papers went to old address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

knowzero

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I lived in a development and i moved. i never updated the association with my new address. i was getting the associations fees. so that sent it to court. The court sent suit to my old address as well. but i never got it so it went into default judgment. i found all this out when the froze my bank account - executed the levy.

now i made a payment plan with them, but the default judgment is still on my credit. and the association lawyer said that the the suit stays open till i pay up everything i owe.

my question is, once i pay up will this go off my credit score?
is there something i can do to get this off my credit?

or any other advice?

FlyingRon

my question is, once i pay up will this go off my credit score?
is there something i can do to get this off my credit?

or any other advice?
While credit score formulas aren't published, you should get a bump when they show the judgement was satisfied.
No you can't get it off your credit history until it ages off (seven years).

Even if you had gone to court, they would have still gotten the judgement.

racer72

The hit on your credit is valid and there is no reason for it to be removed. It will fall off after 7 years.

single317dad

Bear in mind that underwriters and the like who will manually peruse your credit history in the process of determining your eligibility for a loan will usually take into account the difference between a judgment that was satisfied 3 years ago versus a judgment that has been sitting unpaid since it was entered. The point being it is not pointless to pay off a judgment wrt your ability to gain credit, even if the effect on your actual score is minimal.

knowzero

Thank you all for the advice, but since all the paper was going to the wrong address cant i file to vacate the judgement? will they vacate it based on the wrong address and never getting the court docs?

if i file to vacate and the court does vacate it does it remove it from my credit?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you all for the advice, but since all the paper was going to the wrong address cant i file to vacate the judgement? will they vacate it based on the wrong address and never getting the court docs?

if i file to vacate and the court does vacate it does it remove it from my credit?
You are the one who didn't update your address.

tranquility

Nothing that happens outside of the credit agency "removes" things. You have to actually vacate the judgment and then you dispute the entry on your credit report. If they cannot verify it, then it should be removed. Be sure to contact all the credit reporting agencies. However, vacating the judgment may not be possible, depending on the facts. Then you have to deal with court in any event.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">