• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy attorney after me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Whatonearth

Hello,

I live in N.C. I received a registered letter two days ago. Enclosed was a civil suit filed against me from CA. Sept. 27.
I received the registered letter on Oct. 29.

The suit states that I owe a debt from 20 years ago to an the attorney that filed the suit.
He states that the original supposed debt ($750.00) is now with interest a total of over 17,000 dollars that I owe him.
He is suing me for this amount.
He states in the suit according to an agreement I made with him in 2014 that I broke. This is a complete lie. I have not spoken with the man since 1995.

Of course the suit states I must answer within 30 days, but I didn't receive it until after 30 days.
There is also an arbitration form enclosed stating I can receive help with arbitration for that same amount...17,000 something dollars.

I have no idea what to do. I looked the man up and he was disbarred in 2014 and has had complaints and suits filed against him for doing things of this nature.

LdiJ

Hello,

I live in N.C. I received a registered letter two days ago. Enclosed was a civil suit filed against me from CA. Sept. 27.

The suit states that I owe a debt from 20 years ago to an the attorney that filed the suit.
He states that the original supposed debt ($750.00) is now with interest a total of over 17,000 dollars that I owe him.
He states in the suit according to an agreement I made with him in 2014 that I broke. This is a complete lie. I have not spoken with the man since 1995.

Of course the suit states I must answer within 30 days, but I didn't receive it until after 30 days.
There is also an arbitration form enclosed stating I can receive help with arbitration for that same amount...17,000 something dollars.

I have no idea what to do. I looked the man up and he was disbarred in 2014 and has had complaints and suits filed against him for doing things of this nature.
Unfortunately, I think that your only viable options is to hire an attorney in CA to handle this for you. It should be able to be handled pretty quickly as it has to be way past the statute of limitations.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello,

To be clear, you have 30 days from the date you received it, not from the date it was filed.

Whatonearth

Unfortunately, I think that your only viable options is to hire an attorney in CA to handle this for you. It should be able to be handled pretty quickly as it has to be way past the statute of limitations.
Do you have any idea how much this would cost me?
Statue of limitations was probably 2000. That would be 16 years ago.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do you have any idea how much this would cost me?
Statue of limitations was probably 2000. That would be 16 years ago.
His argument is that you reaffirmed the debt within the last two years...you'll have to contact attorneys to find out how much it would cost. You can try www.attorneypages.com, or the CA State Bar.

Whatonearth

His argument is that you reaffirmed the debt within the last two years...you'll have to contact attorneys to find out how much it would cost. You can try www.attorneypages.com, or the CA State Bar.
Yes, that is what he is saying. I never did this. Never agreed that I owe him a thing.

Thank you for the links. I am freaking out, of course. :eek:

LdiJ

Yes, that is what he is saying. I never did this. Never agreed that I owe him a thing.

Thank you for the links. I am freaking out, of course. :eek:
Just remember that the burden of proof (proof that you reaffirmed the debt) is on him, not you. You have to defend yourself by saying that you have never spoken to him since 1995, but he has to prove that you actually did speak to him and reaffirm the debt.

Whatonearth

Not sure why my last post had to be moderated...still waiting until 9 am Ca. time to take to legal aid. He sent me a letter 2 years ago saying he fell on hard times (I guess so being disbarred and all) and that I owed him then like 11,000. I thought he was just being a crack pot...I guess he was setting me up to rob me out of 17,000 dollars? Or does it matter he sent me a letter?
I never answered him nor called him.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Not sure why my last post had to be moderated...still waiting until 9 am Ca. time to take to legal aid. He sent me a letter 2 years ago saying he fell on hard times (I guess so being disbarred and all) and that I owed him then like 11,000. I thought he was just being a crack pot...I guess he was setting me up to rob me out of 17,000 dollars? Or does it matter he sent me a letter?
I never answered him nor called him.
You are wasting your time attempting to contact legal aid. They cannot help you because you do not live in CA. You are going to have to actually hire an attorney or figure out how to do it without one, which nobody is going to recommend at this point.

Whatonearth

You are wasting your time attempting to contact legal aid. They cannot help you because you do not live in CA. You are going to have to actually hire an attorney or figure out how to do it without one, which nobody is going to recommend at this point.
Yes, I did speak with legal aid in Ca. and they explained I had to speak with legal aid in N.C. to get a referral.
Their site is down and was on hold then hung up on twice due to high call volume here in N.C.

It costs $370.00 to file an answer in Orange County Ca. if I choose to do so myself, but their e-file system was also down and I do need to do so in legal form which is too complex because of the number of counts he has submitted in the suit. I guess the next thing will be putting me in prison when they award him this suit because I cannot answer it without an attorney which takes money I do not have.

I am so glad I get to be with Jesus after my time here on earth is done. If this is a test of my faith, well, I suppose they can take my retirement and my old car, but they cannot take Him from me.
Will He find faith on the earth...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">