• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit card company will only talk to the wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tpull

I'm in Nevada, and we have a card that we never activated, but somebody else has used. The customer service person refuses to discuss it with me, insisting she can only talk to my wife since the account is in her name. But if my wife does not pay, they can legally attack my wages, since we are legally one entity and her debt is my debt. So how can they have an avenue towards my paycheck, but still be able to refuse to speak to me? Especially when she's right there, saying it's okay?

FlyingRon

If you didn't sign the contract, then they have no need to talk to you (and in fact in some cases PROHIBITED to discuss it) without your wife's approval. The fact you may be downstream vulnerable for a judgement against her is immaterial.

tpull

Ah, but that's the key. My wife was right there telling them to speak to me, and they still refused.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ah, but that's the key. My wife was right there telling them to speak to me, and they still refused.
They don't have to comply. Tell your wife to talk to them. You can be on the line, but she needs to talk to them.

tpull

I'll do that, thanks. She tried to speak and handle it herself, but the service representative was being evasive and not answering her questions, and being all cagey, so she asked me to help out. For example, when we asked if something was normal, she replied, "It's possible." And we're like, 'that's not what we're asking. We understand it's possible, but is it normal?" And she responded, "...It's possible." It was like talking to a scumbag politician.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I'll do that, thanks. She tried to speak and handle it herself, but the service representative was being evasive and not answering her questions, and being all cagey, so she asked me to help out. For example, when we asked if something was normal, she replied, "It's possible." And we're like, 'that's not what we're asking. We understand it's possible, but is it normal?" And she responded, "...It's possible." It was like talking to a scumbag politician.
I imagine from their point of view, the feeling is mutual. Perhaps you weren't asking the right questions.

"Is it normal?"

"What the ... tell you what. You give me your definition of "normal", and we'll go from there. Nope, wait, scratch that. Is there an adult present we can speak with, please?"

AdjunctFL

"What the ... tell you what. You give me your definition of "normal", and we'll go from there. Nope, wait, scratch that. Is there an adult present we can speak with, please?"
As is often said, normal is only a setting on a washing machine. Other than that, the term is pretty useless.

tpull

This one was pretty simple. We didn't activate their card, and someone was able to use it anyway. We were trying to figure out how the card was usable if we never activated it. Turns out, after pressing her for a longer than "normal (heh) amount of time, she admitted people can just use the account numbers, even if the owner of the card never activates the account, and doesn't have the physical card. Sounds like a needless vulnerability to me, but it was also news to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">