• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is creditor allowed to secretly turnover my debt to collection agency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbweggman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? District of Columbia

After I became an alumnus of college fraternity, my debt was not paid off, so it was transferred to Alumni Corporation Board (ACB). The treasurer from ACB and I developed the agreement of contract that I will pay $25 per month. If I do not pay after two months, then my debt will be sent to collection agency.

I paid every month, but my treasurer did not receive my last two payments due to errors. He refused to believe that it was errors and assumed that I refused to pay it. He secretly sent my debt to collection agency.

Yesterday, I received the letter from collection agency; I suddenly outburst to him for secretly sent my debt to collection agency. He acted like it is not his problem because he sent the warning letter to me, but I did not receive the warning letter, last two payments issues, and sent my debt to collection agency.

Several months ago, I received the letters of overdue from OmegaFi (the program that collects the monies for the chapters); I followed up with him. He eventually told me to disregard any letters from OmegaFi related to overdue. My fraternity brothers witnessed (one of them is currently searching to find the proof of him stated that to us).

Last night, I researched DC laws of consumers rights and debt collection for 3 hours. I see that DC recently passed the law that consumers/claims have the rights to be informed if creditors plan to send consumers/claims' debts to collection agency. Does that mean he violated that law? I also believed that he violated the law related to misleading because he told me to disregard any OmegaFi letters, now I have to follow up with that problematic situation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There's really no need to start a second thread.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/business-contracts-franchises-85/sending-debt-collection-agency-without-notification-609740.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">