• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creditor called me, they have my name/phone, but SS is wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cosmoK

Illinois

Basic Question:
Do I have anything to worry about creditors calling saying they will take legal action? They said if I do not resolve it within 24 hours, they will take legal action.

Details:
Someone gives me a call stating that I have $2800 balance due on a Bank One CC. I talk to them, being very careful to not give my personal information.

I ask for information on their part. They say they are Creditors Interchange and they have my name by running the SS number given to them by FirstUSA (aka Bankone). After talking to them, I find out they do not even have my social security number right, nor have the address right, nor have the university right. (they tell me if 156xxxxx is my SS, if I live in NJ, and if I attented Rutgers). I say no to all 3.

Background:
I have no debts outstanding.
The BankOne cc I do have, I called them and they say I have zero Balance
I only have one social security number

My guess is they have the wrong person, there will be another person with my name in NJ, only my name is unusual.

Do i have to worry about legal action evn though it is not me
Do I have to worry about them finding my social security number and using that against me?
Should I contact a lawyer?

I realize this is my first post, I tried searching but couldn't find anything relevant... if you guys say otherwise, please point out those posts.

Thanks,

Ladynred

Creditors Interchange is a bunch of lying scumbags who make a LOT of threats but don't follow through. They tried to scare me with that crap -- they did NOTHING, they gave up and sold it to some other scumbag CA.

Do I have anything to worry about creditors calling saying they will take legal action? They said if I do not resolve it within 24 hours, they will take legal action.
Intimidation tactic - pure bull.. ignore it.

My guess is they have the wrong person, there will be another person with my name in NJ, only my name is unusual.
I think you're guess is dead on. There are few names that are 100% unique ;)

Do i have to worry about legal action evn though it is not me
Probably not, they're blowing smoke up your butt to try to scare you. Make them send you proof in writing - send them a debt validation letter - make them PROVE its yours - they can't do it.

Do I have to worry about them finding my social security number and using that against me?
Probably not. They only have what FUSA gave/sold them. I WOULD check your credit reports though, just in case.

Should I contact a lawyer?
I wouldn't go that far yet. As I said, CI makes a lot of empty threats to initimidate. I'd go the debt validation route and make them prove it. Since their info is all wrong, they can't prove anything. This wrong name thing is EXACTLY why the FDCPA gives us the right to demand validation.

You can read up on validation at www.creditinfocenter.com - and find sample letters there too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">