What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
A creditor keeps calling my home and my mom's home looking for a person who does not live with either of us.
1. Nothing Shows on the caller ID.
2. They used to leave messages for this person (it was a recording) with a reference number and a phyone number. I called it one day when I answered the phone and actually heard the name, and I told them that they had the wrong number. (My mom has had her phone number for over 30 years!) They apologized and agreed to take the number off their list. They started calling again the following day. They now just ask for this person and hang up when you say they havethe wrong number, ask for a number, ask for the supervisor... There is no way to know who they are!
3. I got married last year and got a new phone number in my new name. Last month I started getting phone calls that would leave a message with a phone number and a reference number on my answering machine. One morning they called while I was still home. I called them and told them that they had the wrong phone number. They said they'd take it off of their list. They continued to call. I called back. They told me that I was Ms. XXXXX whom they have been trying to reach! I said no, I am not, I never have been, and i never will be. They promised to take my name off of their list. Instead they call everyday, I'm sure it's them becasue of the "unknown caller" display on my caller ID. They call my mom several times a day Mon-Sat, and refuse to identify themselves, and refuse to stop calling. I don't know what to do. We've attempted to get a phone number or address from them so we can do something about the calls, but they refuse to give us anything. The woman on the phone insists that she will call everyday until Ms. XXXX is there to speak with her.
4. Is there anything that we can do about this? I thought that it was illegal in the first place for a collector to call more than so many times a week. They fill my answering machine with messages! No one can leave a message after 4-5pm because this place will actually fill it. I don't want to not leave it on. My husband is on midnights so he is getting mad.
5. We have checked our credit reports and nothing there is amiss.
6. We don't know who the person is that they are looking for.
7. We are really getting tired of this. They call at all hours of the day and night. We cannot send them a letter to stop calling becasue we have no address. I looked up the phone number when I called it about the reference number and dscovered that it was a collection agency.
8. Are we going to have to change our phone numbers? Our names are not similar to the person they are calling at all.
9. Any suggestions as to what can be done?