• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creditors calling my house for my roomate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scoobysmak

I live in Florida and I have a creditor calling my house twice a day for my roomate. We have been friends for over 8 years and he hasn't had the cleanest credit record but in the past couple years has paid his bills for the most part. Due to his past he had to get a high interest rate loan for his car and it maybe the actual loan company calling (I understand the laws maybe different in this case). He recently switched his payment date from the 27th of the month to the 13th of the month with an automatic draft payment. Ever since May 27th they started calling, both parties had agreed that his May 27th payment would be switched to the automatic draft payment in June. Normally I would just let him deal with it but I now work nights and these calls are wakeing me up from a dead sleep, sometimes just so I can hear a dail tone on the other end. They do not want to speak with me due to the fact its not my account in question, after they ask if he is there and I answer NO they hang up (I need to ask them to stop calling me before I answer but usualy not awake enough to think of that until after they hung up). I tried calling the number on the caller ID but its a non-working number go-figure, I asked him to call the loan company and he gets the same people that agreed to change his payment data and everything seems good. I honestly do not have a clue to who is calling for what reason with his credit but I would like to know my leagal rights before I accidently slip and tell someone to take a long walk off a short pier and make it worse. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Veronica1228

Scoobysmak said:
I live in Florida and I have a creditor calling my house twice a day for my roomate. We have been friends for over 8 years and he hasn't had the cleanest credit record but in the past couple years has paid his bills for the most part. Due to his past he had to get a high interest rate loan for his car and it maybe the actual loan company calling (I understand the laws maybe different in this case). He recently switched his payment date from the 27th of the month to the 13th of the month with an automatic draft payment. Ever since May 27th they started calling, both parties had agreed that his May 27th payment would be switched to the automatic draft payment in June. Normally I would just let him deal with it but I now work nights and these calls are wakeing me up from a dead sleep, sometimes just so I can hear a dail tone on the other end. They do not want to speak with me due to the fact its not my account in question, after they ask if he is there and I answer NO they hang up (I need to ask them to stop calling me before I answer but usualy not awake enough to think of that until after they hung up). I tried calling the number on the caller ID but its a non-working number go-figure, I asked him to call the loan company and he gets the same people that agreed to change his payment data and everything seems good. I honestly do not have a clue to who is calling for what reason with his credit but I would like to know my leagal rights before I accidently slip and tell someone to take a long walk off a short pier and make it worse. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
It's really hard to tell you what to do since you don't know for sure who is calling. I know this seems like a simple answer, but you have to find out who is calling, who they represent, and get a callback number so that your roommate can contact them. He really should be the one to handle this.

jchansen

Your roomate debt

First you need to know this for your own personal use and for your roomate
there is something called the F.D.C.P.A. look under "COMMUNICATIONS WITH THE CONSUMER GENERALLY" (1) at any unusual time or place or a time or place known or which should be known to be inconvenient to the consumer. In the absence of knowledge of circumstances to the contrary, a debt collector shall assume that the convenient time for communicating with a consumer is after 8 o'clock antimeridian and before 9 o'clock postmeridian, local time at the consumer's location;

have your roomate put it in writting what time to call and what phone # to call. This is really up to your roomate and he may not want to call these people or hear from them but he needs to have respect for you and have them call him at a diff. phone or only call at time that will not wake you up.

I don't think you want to go off on the debt collector some times that will only make things worse on you or your friend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">