• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creditors of deceased spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fgs

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? AL
*I mistakenly posted this under Banking/Credit Cards. Sorry.
I recently received a notice from a collection agency that has been hired as the successor to the bank that issued my late spouse's credit card. I assume that they purchased the debt from the bank. The letter is addressed to the estate of my late spouse. This debt was obtained/signed for years ago by my late spouse only, not me. The letter indicates that if a response disputing the validity of the debt is not sent within 30 days, they will obtain a judgment. This credit card debt was obtained by my late spouse. We did not probate because there was nothing to probate. I do have bank account that is under my SS# in both names joint with survivorship, but I was told that that is not part of an "estate." My question is: what is my obligation in regards to this debt? I had paid on it for three months after spouse's death, and stopped because I didn't have a job and I was told that making payments would obligate me legally to pay it off. What should my next step be? Should I retain an attorney to handle this? Thanks in advance for any input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">