• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crooked debt collectors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Samara

A debt collector tried to garnish my wages, but I do not make enough that they can be garnished. So, when my paycheck was deposited today, they garnished my bank account for the entire amount of my 2 week paycheck, ($374). The law was trying to protect me because I am a low income wage earner, but they have found a loophole. What can I do? What legal rights do I have? I did speak with the lawyer, and he knew my wages could not be garnished. I told him I really could not afford to pay him anything on this debt, because I make less than $1,000 a month. He told me that I should be trying harder to make more money so that I can pay him. It's talking down to and being rude to a debtor against the FDCPA? I understand they are trying to collect a debt, but I am a single mother of 3 kids that have a deadbeat dad that is $10,000 behind in child support. If I had more help with financing my kids in school and their clothes and food, it would free up more of my personal paycheck to pay this debt. But, I am struggling to care for my kids all on my own. I can not afford to higher an attorney, so what can I do?

Just Blue

A debt collector tried to garnish my wages, but I do not make enough that they can be garnished. So, when my paycheck was deposited today, they garnished my bank account for the entire amount of my 2 week paycheck, ($374). The law was trying to protect me because I am a low income wage earner, but they have found a loophole. What can I do? What legal rights do I have? I did speak with the lawyer, and he knew my wages could not be garnished. I told him I really could not afford to pay him anything on this debt, because I make less than $1,000 a month. He told me that I should be trying harder to make more money so that I can pay him. It's talking down to and being rude to a debtor against the FDCPA? I understand they are trying to collect a debt, but I am a single mother of 3 kids that have a deadbeat dad that is $10,000 behind in child support. If I had more help with financing my kids in school and their clothes and food, it would free up more of my personal paycheck to pay this debt. But, I am struggling to care for my kids all on my own. I can not afford to higher an attorney, so what can I do?
Single Mother to Single Mother?...GET ANOTHER JOB. Being rude is not against the law. It IS against your sensibilities. But that is, IMO, your PROBLEM. The DC could care less if you are a mother of 3 and the three have a (+ ?) deadbeat (s) dad(s).

They just want to get paid.

If you really think that the DC has violated a law ...Consult with a local attorney. Many are willing to give you a free consult.

Blue

TigerD

Sorry, there was nothing crooked about that.

You are between a rock and a hard place. You can find a way out.

TD

LdiJ

Cancel your direct deposit to that bank account. Open another account at a different bank, or a prepaid debit card that can accept direct deposits and re-direct your pay there. That is no guarantee that it won't happen again, but it lessens the odds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">