• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

volunteerstate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
I have been paying on a damage claim for 3 1/2 years. I occasionally would miss a month, but immediately make up for it the next month. I received a notice in February that I was behind on my payments. When I spoke with the man in charge, I explained that I did miss my December payment, but made 2 payments in January. He told me it wasn't showing up on the most recent statement he had. I assumed it would show up on the next statement because I had made the payment. Now I should explain that my payment was supposed to be $100 per month. I was paying $50. I had called him and left a message to let him know I was laid off from work and needed to temporarily reduce my payment. I didnt hear back from him. So I to make the $50 payment because he had allowed to me do this in the past and it was all I was able to do. When I received a notice in February that I had missed 2 payments, it stated I had to send in $150 by the end of February to make up for Dec., Jan. and my Feb. Which would be a $50 per month payment. (of course I can't find that letter now!) I got a letter this week from a law firm stating it had been turned over to them for collection. I called them and explained it was a mistake. I had proof I had made my payments. She said they havent received a payment since November. I make my payments with my online bank acct. This is a damage claim from my electric company for a light pole I hit. I also make my electric payments with my online bank acct. but the electric bill is in my husbands name and his name is not associated with my bank acct. at all. But, I have determined my payment for my damage claim was going towards payment for the electric bill!!! I faxed the law firm proof of my payment to my damage claim and told them I suspected it was going to my electric bill. I thought all would be ok when they saw my proof. When they called me back she said she spoke with the man in charge and he said it didnt matter. That I was still in breach of the contract because I wasnt paying the agreed upon amount in the contract!! I know this would not be happening if they had received my payments, even though it wasnt the contract amount because when I spoke with him in February, he said nothing about I was supposed to be making the $100 payment. And I dont have the notice I received saying I owed $150 for 3 months! What can I do, if anything? I'm so upset!! And now the amount due is twice as much as it was before they turned it over for collection. The man in charge wont accept my phone calls either. Wouldn't it be their mistake that they put the damage claim payment into the electric bill payment? My bank sent the payment to the right acct. number! I would be more than happy to make up the payments that they messed up to avoid paying hundreds of dollars extra on the balance. PLEASE HELP!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">