• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt buyer filed suit, my lawyer filed answer and won a judgement for memo of costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

palladium

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A debt buyer filed a suit against me alleging that I owed $7000. They also won a judgement against me with any sort of proof of service. As soon as I learned of the judgement, I hired a local lawyer. This lawyer I hired is a Superman, that's what I heard from other people too. He filed an answer that was simply super and also filed several other motions and request for additional information etc. The debt buyer filed for dismissal without prejudice. Now the statute of limitations claimed by the debt buyer in the suit also has expired. My lawyer filed a "Memo of Costs" and won a judgement against the debt buyer who filed the suit agianst me. The court website also reflects this judgement. It says "My Name" has won the judgement.

So my question is what happens now? Will this debt buyer send a check or how is this judgement implemented. I wanted to check with you on your similar experiences.

Last edited:

nrknlknek

My guess (and it is only that) is that they will ignore the judgment. Your only option is to try to enforce the judgment and, depending on the amount, that may well be more costly that it is worth. Good luck.

Bosco

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A debt buyer filed a suit against me alleging that I owed $7000. They also won a judgement against me with any sort of proof of service. As soon as I learned of the judgement, I hired a local lawyer who said his minimum fee is $2500. I hired him anyways because I didn't want to pay the $7000 plus whatever fee. I paid $500 initially to my lawyer. This lawyer I hired is a Superman, that's what I heard from other people too. He filed an answer that was simply super and also filed several other motions and request for additional information etc. The debt buyer filed for dismissal without prejudice. Now the statute of limitations claimed by the debt buyer in the suit also has expired. My lawyer filed a "Memo of Costs" and won a judgement against the debt buyer who filed the suit agianst me. The court website also reflects this judgement. It says "My Name" has won the judgement.

So my question is what happens now? Will this debt buyer send a check or how is this judgement implemented. I wanted to check with you on your similar experiences.
Congrats! Glad to see another consumer fight back and take these sleazeballs behind the proverbial woodshed.

I agree with the previous poster. They'll likely ignore any demand letters you send, so you'll have to see what remedies are available in your state to enforce judgment. I don't imagine that collecting would be too hard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">