• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Collection attempts AFTER Failed Debt Validation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sage107

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Last year (06/07) I received a letter from a law firm trying to collect a debt for a debt collection agency. Since I was not aware of the debt, I sent a debt validation letter, (notarized, certified-return-receipt) to the law firm. Till this day (03/08), I have never received any type of validation by mail or any other response to my valildation, but I know they received the letter.

Yet starting about three weeks ago, I started getting calls for from a creditor at home and now at work. I now know that this creditor is the same collection agency that was represented by that law firm I mentioned previously. Basically, the collection agency, now, is trying to collect the same debt that law firm was. My question is: is this practice in violation of the FDCPA? It is a little foggy to me since the LAW FIRM was representing the collection agency, but now the collection agency itself, (albeit 8 months later) is trying to collect the exact same debt. Is there some form of "double jeopardy" clause that prohibits this type of practice? Any help would be appreciated!What is the name of your state?

TigerD

No. The law firm ceased collection action and returned the debt to the entity that placed it with them.

DC

Debt Guy

Without having more information and exact dates, etc., my quick and dirty opinion is that the CA and the law firm are different entities for purposes of FDCPA.

But, if you think they are the same, what can you do about it? There are no FDCPA cops. You can complain to the FTC but the agency does not take up individual complaints.

Realistically, your alternative is to sue.

Wouldn't it just be easier to send to new validation request to the CA and see what happens?

Sage107

Thanks for the input. I am actually preparing to send out another debt validation letter. Up till three days ago, I didnt know it was the same CA as the one back in 06/07, thus wasnt sure where to send the letter. The last three weeks of calls from the CA have been highly ambiguous; sometimes they left vague messages or none at all. I had to do some informal fact finding to figure out it was them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">